foreign nationals

the hedge man

Word has it in my town that Foreign nationals are sweeping up a load of tree/ grounds maintenance work. I personally have not seen any, but the effects are really being felt- I've got a cracking 'winter special' tree work advert in the local paper that is usually on fire at this time of year, two to three enquiries per week. But so far i've had slim pickings off it- rather worrying.

I want to state of course that I do not have a problem with the foreign nationals of course- I say fair play to them, they have to work just like everybody else.

Whats got me thinking is that folk from other counties have being living here for the best part of a decade now and naturally they are not going to want to be confined to working the land and factories for much longer- they are going to want improve their lifestyles. Problem is in my view is that they are happy to work for less than british workers and work harder in the process, surely potentially a recipie for disaster for the industry that we have been used to for decades.

So with my experience, is this starting to happen now, and should we be worried....?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Foreign National myself I am certainly hoovering up work and making an impact locally.

Question is...

Is this work that would have gone to others or new work that I have generated...? Answers on a postcard please.

What is certain, as an immigrant I must ensure my work ethic is of a high standard as I have a certain amount of chauvanism to overcome and the last thing I need is for any-one to slight me due to my status of 'etranger'.

So I work hard for long hours and for competitive prices.

So perhaps 'Foreign Nationals' on your doorstep could be a wake up call for any local business who thinks their feet are well under the table.

Regards

Ty

I think the fact is at if the British worked half as hard as the foreign labour this would never have become an issue. I think it's a bit late for us to moan now. I'm more concerned that my tax pennies go to support the lazy good for nothing British shirk force than a few hard grafting people of any nationality.

You just need to look at how it's affected the building trade and the good skilled tradesmen that it's put out of work

Because they were charging too much for their work. In the old days bricklayers were charging ridiculous day rates; then eastern europeans came in and charged less; What do you need to be a bricklayer? A car and a bag full of tools. Plus the experience of course but the immigrants had that as well.

Agree with Guss and Old Mill Tree Care - the foreign nationals most will fear are the non-tax paying bandits from Eastern Europe and other far flung shores, plus of course travellers.

I don't like to tar all with the same brush but the threat from these types is spreading, and whereever they go, trouble/crime rises and the Police to jack to stop it or enforce the law - I come from a family of either Coppers or Squaddies so feel I am able to have that pop!

Rant over!!!

Because they were charging too much for their work. In the old days bricklayers were charging ridiculous day rates; then eastern europeans came in and charged less; What do you need to be a bricklayer? A car and a bag full of tools. Plus the experience of course but the immigrants had that as well.

I think that's unfair to say that a brickie still does an apprenticeship the same as a sparkie or joiner ect and supplies there own tools even if there on the books with a firm. It could be argued that if you work on the books as a groundie/climber you only need a car but if self employed or run your own company you are better because you have all your own gear. The foreign nationals get taught a little of all trades at school and they then class themselfs as a joiner or what ever takes there fancy that week. I'm a joiner to trade and have seen the mess they have left behind and class it as a good job here's a nice example of one of many I've seen and had to sort. Working on a new night club and he is told to go and straighten/pack out a stud wall then sheet it. Do you A: use a nice metal straight edge of which there were a few knocking about or B: just pick up a length of inch and have PVC waste pipe which isn't known for it's straight edge properties. Il let you guess what he choose and he was still trying to work out what to do 5 hours later on a wall only about 4 mtrs long. This should have taken an hour or two tops. But I have also seen some decent work but it's few and far between