Public liability questions

nz paul

Is it needed as a sub contrator,or would you be covered under the main contractors?

Is it just advisable to get it?

Where to look?

Any advice please?

Thanks.

If you are working in the UK as a freelancer under the direction of the contractor then you are legally seen as an employee for insurance purposes, both Public Liability and Employer's Liability. The line is a bit more blurred when the contractor has no say in when or how the job is done, ie you are a bona fide subcontractor, then the insurance liability is more likely to be yours. The confusion arises when people say 'subcontractor, when they really mean 'freelancer'. :001_smile:

If you are working in the UK as a freelancer under the direction of the contractor then you are legally seen as an employee for insurance purposes, both Public Liability and Employer's Liability. The line is a bit more blurred when the contractor has no say in when or how the job is done, ie you are a bona fide subcontractor, then the insurance liability is more likely to be yours. The confusion arises when people say 'subcontractor, when they really mean 'freelancer'. :001_smile:

Ok so better to be a freelancer then a subbie,what about if i was to take on my own jobs aswell?.

Ok so better to be a freelancer then a subbie,what about if i was to take on my own jobs aswell?.

Then, depending on the level of work/risk I would suggest having it, so less sweeties. But the profit from your own jobs should leave some sweetie money in the pocket.

There is no legal requirement for you to have Public Liability insurance but, if you have anybody helping you, you will need Employer's Liability cover. Be aware though that Employer's Liability does not cover you for the employee's actions with regards to any damage to property, only to any injuries the employee may receive. :001_smile: