Chickens, ducks and geese

blades

i run 2 drinkers one in the house i take it out in the morning with fresh water that is warmed slightly to stop it freezing so quickly, i find it takes quite a while at times for it to freeze and fill the drinkers as full as possible as it takes longer for it to cool down, so they dont freeze as quickly, though it not that often i have had a problem with drinkers freezing during the day, this in Northern Ireland but i know turiff is alot colder than aberdeen as i was up there on sunday night, as i am over here at uni

if this dose not work there are eletric ones you can get but they run off 240v but if this is not avalibible you could try to run it of a 12v battery and a inverter but they will probaly not work for the bucket in the picture.

Electric Water Heater

Electric Heater for animal drinkers

I was thinking about this the other morning. I seem to remember when my dad brewed beer that you can get a heater that was like a 1'' rubber band with a cable attached and it must have had a thermostat incorporated to keep the precious stuff brewing. If that could run off a 12v battery then surely that could be a winner. I'll go and get the brew kit out which I have now inherited but not yet had a go with.

After seeing the post above maybe the white wine vinegar would be a bit easier.

Edited by T14EES T14UNK

I use a bundled water tank that's been lagged, empty the water out of there drinking bowls when we lock them up and fill in the morning. I know it's a balls ache and adds a few extra minutes to the morning routine. In the hardest part of the winter we keep a blow lamp next to the tank incase the tap freezes.

Been a problem for centuries, How about Those hand warmers that activate when you open the packet, I wonder if you could open them when you leave the house, then put in a plastic tub with a screw lid and float it in trough when you get there, they last hours in your pocket. They cost pence and I chuck them in woodburner when spent because the ingredients are simple elements. Geese may wreck the tub though.

Another elaborate idea dig a pit and fill with fresh manure or woodchip, sink bowl level and have a board to stop heat escaping, could last a month. Duck jacuzzi!!!!

Iirc warm (maybe just hot?) water freezes faster than cold due to fluid convection. Im not sure what the threshold is. A friend was adamant that a kettle or two in her horses water bath would keep it from freezing.

The small poly tunnel and straw/similar insulation sound like good ideas to me.

James

Iirc warm (maybe just hot?) water freezes faster than cold due to fluid convection. Im not sure what the threshold is. A friend was adamant that a kettle or two in her horses water bath would keep it from freezing.

The small poly tunnel and straw/similar insulation sound like good ideas to me.

James

Thats correct about the warm water . Thats what they put down to resurface skating rinks between sessions , it freezes much faster you can skate on it after 10 mins or so , not possible with cold water . The horses water troughs just get the ice broken on them and refilled with buckets from the house if outside taps freeze . Can be a pita but not alot you can do about it .