Fuel and saws

Topcat

3 saws up and running,£100 so far,not to bad but it's only the smaller ones.Not looking to good with the 088.Think I'll have to buy some new. Got some prices for replacements but trying to work out which way to go. Looks like a new Ms 460 with 25" bar @ £660 inc vat and a Ms 230 with 14" @ £265 inc. Did consider MS 390 with 20" @ £450 but won't do the bigger stuff.

Aspen all the way :) if it wrecks the saw then the dealer can sort it imho

cant you just get the piston and cylinders replaced? would be best option on the 88 theres no point writing saws off just because of P&C damage, also dont just rely on the dealers word its not hard to replace P&C so if the dealer says nope its a write of look on ebay or contact either someone like Jonesie on here to cost up new, i on many saws have just used a cylinder hone and replaced the piston and rings and saved £400 saws from the dealers scrap bin

Aspen all the way :) if it wrecks the saw then the dealer can sort it imho

cant you just get the piston and cylinders replaced? would be best option on the 88 theres no point writing saws off just because of P&C damage, also dont just rely on the dealers word its not hard to replace P&C so if the dealer says nope its a write of look on ebay or contact either someone like Jonesie on here to cost up new, i on many saws have just used a cylinder hone and replaced the piston and rings and saved £400 saws from the dealers scrap bin

Aspen too expensive IMO but I'd have thought replacing pot and piston was standard practice prior to binning any machine.

Try just putting a piston in the 88, you wont get a non genuine pot for the 88,you can get a piston but not a pot and a genuine set is about 350-400quid. in many ways the 66 is better in this respect, i rebuilt one last year pot and piston 100 quid and it is spot on.

Aspen too expensive IMO but I'd have thought replacing pot and piston was standard practice prior to binning any machine.

Hmm i dont know about the cost, ok its about double petrol but i can leave it a can and not have to worry about it deteriorating for years, your never going to mess the mix up and either choke yourself or run the saw lean (unless you fiddle with the carbs) i mean running fuel that costs two pounds a litre in a saw worth a grand? for the piece of mind? I appreciate that in a commertial forestry situation that it may be expensive but hey, i was clearing lop and top behind a harvester the other day with my husky 340 13" bar it needed two and a half tanks of fuel all day, thats about what £3.50 at the most? as the new saws become more efficent and sensative to fueling i really dont see the problem with budgeting £10 a day for fuel, and i know when strimming etc i certainly appreciate the cleaner fuel after a long day, dont feel as rough and headachey

youd be surprised how many dealers will try and scrap a saw for that, at the same time offering good discount for a new saw in an effort to sell saws

Edited by Charlieh

ive heard about this also, but have also heard not to use the higher octane fuel like optimax or bp ultimate as it burns far to hot ?

I run optimax and the like in my RM 125 (MX bike+additonal tuning) because it runs cooler.

Whats happened to the barrel and piston onthe 88? I don't see how some slighty dodgy fuel could put a piston and barrel beyond repiar.

Edited by Billy