In praise of Grey Squirrels

Le Sanglier

Not that I wish to defend Grey squirrels but a couple of points.

Before grabbing the bungee and catapulting them into oblivion remember the man who was fined £1500 after being prosecuted by the RSPCA for drowning a squirrel he caught in a trap.

Secondly, the Red squirrels that we all love are actually introductions as well. Like foxes they have nearly died out several times and had multiple introductions from the European continental mainland over the past 200 years. That's why reds in different part of these isles are different colours. Similarly why modern foxes are bigger than in older times.

So the blur between native and introduced is blurred even further.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keep my chickens mixed corn in a metal dustbin and during the summer a squirrel managed to lift the lid and get in (its quite a tight fit). Shot that one and lo and behold next day it happened again, shot that one, this went on for several weeks in the end i had shot 8 that had got into that bin by lifting the lid, i now have to keep a block on the lid but when i forget about it the lid is often left off. How can that many squirrels learn to lift the lid off ? Never happened before and why did they leave the bins with the layers pellets and wild bird seed in that have lids that will come off easier.

Somebody once told me that the only difference between rats and squirrels is that squirrels have a better PR team! Quit right if you think about it.

Quite wrong actually, Squirrels don't spread diseases harmful to humans or damage property (to the same extent, yes i know Dean!) or spoil our food stores.

In an ideal world every species could learn to limit their numbers and we could all live in harmony, but we as humans are supposedly the most intelligent beings and we cant limit our numbers, we know we are damaging the planet yet we still carry on regardless. We all use energy needlessly, we over eat, pump co2 into the atmosphere, kill each other rob each other blah blah blah

If humans can't stop damaging the planet and over breeding we can't expect less intelligent beings to do the same

In an ideal world every species could learn to limit their numbers and we could all live in harmony, but we as humans are supposedly the most intelligent beings and we cant limit our numbers, we know we are damaging the planet yet we still carry on regardless. We all use energy needlessly, we over eat, pump co2 into the atmosphere, kill each other rob each other blah blah blah

If humans can't stop damaging the planet and over breeding we can't expect less intelligent beings to do the same

:thumbup:

From our (arborist types) point of view, the greys are terrible. They have done huge and extensive damage to the younger trees here on the estate, particularly sycamore and oak. To the best of my knowledge, the reds do not bark strip to anywhere near the same degree. Native or non native, cute or not, this is the single biggest reason to control them. What is the point in planting, pruning and thinning if your crop is going to be destroyed by a fluffy tailed rat?

Hi Stumpgrinder

We have a house in the Landes and quite often see red squirrels in the garden, although they aren't as bold as the greys that we get here in the UK.

I have a walnut tree at home here and each year the grey squirrels manage to strip it of all the nuts in a day. I don't believe the little blighters could manage the whole tree - about 200 nuts - singly so I reckon they must team up. Every time I think I'll pick those at the weekend they all go missing a couple of days before. I definitely don't like grey squirrels.