Using silky... Unskilled labour?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the gang master licensing system had been removed from the forestry sector anyway now? Can't swear by that, but recall reading it someplace a while back. If anyone can verify this it may be useful.

I thought this was the case as well. I think it was in the FCA mag or on their website.

I'm 90% sure forestry is exempt now.

As for formative pruning do it with a hand saw. If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right.

Unfortunately there are some human beings in the world that just enjoy messing up some one else's day:thumbdown:

He has noises you up,it's consuming your head, your trying to rationalise it and gt some answers, but guess what, this eejit you are dealing with wont be interested:sneaky2:

They are an eejit:001_rolleyes:

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I think forestry is still GLA regulated, albeith they are taking a "tread lightly approach", whatever that means. If you read the FCA article it states the the minister would like to see forestry removed, not that it has been. We are still required to have a license (unfortunately). I for one, will jump for joy the day that I am not required to have a license.

Totally agree with all the sentiments on hand saws being best for formative pruning, I've nothing to add to that that hasn't been said already. What I would like to add is that GLA regulations are not based on any form of actual skill level. The dividing line is simply hand tools are unskilled and mechanical tools are skilled - I know this does not make sense, but that's the way it is. In this context I think you would need a license. There is one possible get out clause, which states that if you are normally employed in an exempted manner (ie on mechanical tools) you may use hand tools for up to 12 days in any one three month period. So.... if its less than 12 days work and you're normally employed on the saw you should be fine.

The simplest way to find out for sure is call the GLA. If I'm wrong on this and you don't need a license please let me know. I'll be delighted to be wrong on this one.

As contractor responsible for the work on the aforementioned estate, it seems prudent to post.

I did try to contact the GLA, but it being 1645 on a Friday before I had chance, they had put the phones to loop me round in circles to avoid answering it!

As Spruce Pirate says, hand tools unskilled, mechanised tools skilled. It's a classification and in many respects it's wrong, however the estate can stipulate how the trees are pruned however they want. It's their land, their trees, they are paying the wages and if they are found to be in breach of the gangmasters legislation, their liability (as well as mine).

It might not be the best thing to do for the trees, but with the right chainsaw (like the little Echo I have) and due care, you can do a good job with pruning with a chainsaw. The trees in question are certainly on the bigger side with frequent branches 1-2 inches. It is quicker with the chainsaw.

At the end of the day, if you don't agree with or like the work, there isn't anyone forcing you to do it. Using the silky when you've been asked not to as an act of 'rebellion' is not on, especially when you are subcontracting on someone else's company name and insurance.

My 2 cents!