Sycamore, your two cents

omahaalex

Hello All

I am currently a Myerscough College student, I am just doing a little research to try and get a brief understanding of how sycamores are viewed within the industry. If anyone could share their opinions I’d be grateful.

Particularly in regards to

1. Problems with the species, such as pest and diseases, structural problems etc.

2. Biodiversity – is there ecological contribution high or low

3. Outcompeting – would sycamore out compete native species here in the UK?

4. Status – what words would describe sycamore’s status? Native. Non-native, introduced, naturalised, invasive, alien or any others you have heard sycamore being called.

5. Population – would any one care to guess a percentage of sycamores in regard to all the trees in the UK

6. Opinion – does anyone think that the tree is viewed negatively, would anyone go to efforts to argue to keep a sycamore?

Any other views on sycamore positive or negatives? Good wood or bad wood? Dislike working with them?

Thanks for your time

Alex

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

I am currently a Myerscough College student, I am just doing a little research to try and get a brief understanding of how sycamores are viewed within the industry. If anyone could share their opinions I’d be grateful.

Particularly in regards to

1. Problems with the species, such as pest and diseases, structural problems etc.

2. Biodiversity – is there ecological contribution high or low

3. Outcompeting – would sycamore out compete native species here in the UK?

4. Status – what words would describe sycamore’s status? Native. Non-native, introduced, naturalised, invasive, alien or any others you have heard sycamore being called.

5. Population – would any one care to guess a percentage of sycamores in regard to all the trees in the UK

6. Opinion – does anyone think that the tree is viewed negatively, would anyone go to efforts to argue to keep a sycamore?

Any other views on sycamore positive or negatives? Good wood or bad wood? Dislike working with them?

Thanks for your time

Alex

1, Vey prone to tar spot - rhytisma? cant remeber speling but im sure you know what i mean, no big issue just unsightly.

Not known for poor structure-usually very good.

2, Not brlliant in general bio diversity terms but better Sycamore trees than nothing in my opinion.

3, Yes

4, Non native

5, 18%

6, Yes i think a lot of people view them negativley, I would argue to keep one in certain circumstances-- but only one:lol:

7, Good wood for allround use and firewood. easy to climb and work on, can be pruned well -look good. down side hear alot problems the aphids cause dropping sugary substance on cars driveways etc.

Easyly self set- alot of people call them weeds

my opinions only :001_smile:

We have a number of large sycamores in our patch of woodland and they do seem to limit the growth of anything else in their immediate vicinity.

Also seem to be popping up all over the place as well, but currently putting a lot of the smaller ones into the firewood pile - as Hodges says, seems to burn well.

On previous threads here and elsewhere opinion seems to be polarised along the same lines as marmite - they either love or hate em and not much in between

Cant give you anything more technical I'm afraid, but hope that helps

No point repeating what has already been pointed out so not much to add.

Perhaps my favourite tree species, a very beautiful tree, especialy when open grown is hard to beat for overall shape/form, especialy an old hefty Vet

Sycamore seem more abundant in the north of England and perhaps this is where it aquired its weed status, but weed or not the british landscape as we know it today would look very bare without it.

Being thin barked and lacking true heartwood it is quite susceptible to decay fungi, esp, P. squamosus and K. Deusta.

Hope this is of help

Regards

J

No point repeating what has already been pointed out so not much to add.

Perhaps my favourite tree species, a very beautiful tree, especialy when open grown is hard to beat for overall shape/form, especialy an old hefty Vet

Sycamore seem more abundant in the north of England and perhaps this is where it aquired its weed status, but weed or not the british landscape as we know it today would look very bare without it.

Being thin barked and lacking true heartwood it is quite susceptible to decay fungi, esp, P. squamosus and K. Deusta.

Hope this is of help

Regards

J

Spot on Jonny :thumbup1:

When I did my masters (14 years ago!) I wrote a piece on the sycamore, addressing some of the points you raise. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a scan of it, though it might be a few days/a week before I get a chance.

It was no academic masterpiece, but you might find it useful.