climber or foreman?

English-arb

Looking back the further I progressed the less I enjoyed my job, although the money was good, but you can't have it both ways unless you are doing something you really enjoy. Stress is always there to a greater or lesser degree, it's how you deal with that counts.

This is where communicating with the employer counts, (I know this can be very hard. Feelings are a difficult thing to express, especially in the testosterone fuelled environment we inhabit.). Training shouldn't stop at vocational subjects. Management and leadership courses are available and should be used. It's also important to get the right type of training as it isn't a one size fits all. Employers should recognize the importance of this and the investment they have already made in a person to get them to the stage where they are going to be promoted.

Get it right and the benefits far outweigh the costs. Get it wrong and productivity falls, emnity rises and staff leave.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on you grumpy old git:001_tt2:.

Im 32 and still wearing my short trousers and im sure i can run most jobs without much issue. My main team leader/ foreman has worked for me for 5 or 6 years and it was his first job in the industry and he can happily run 90% of jobs. Its all about the type of work you do, who you work with and how you build your experience.

I'm not even 30, I just wing it

Come on you grumpy old git:001_tt2:.

Im 32 and still wearing my short trousers and im sure i can run most jobs without much issue. My main team leader/ foreman has worked for me for 5 or 6 years and it was his first job in the industry and he can happily run 90% of jobs. Its all about the type of work you do, who you work with and how you build your experience.

so you employed somebody to run a team with no industry experience? Did you employ him because of his training i.e tech cert with managment portion?

I've just taken a role as a climber from a previous foreman position. quite enjoy all the public liaison work. i enjoyed the challenge and the reward. more frustration than stress would be an issue. some people just don't like being told what to do however diplomatic. i think maybe I'm probably happier for the meantime. once a foreman always a foreman, can't help but take lead now and then. everyone seems to appreciate that you take responsibility and initiative. distributes the load. so in the end theres no foreman at all

so you employed somebody to run a team with no industry experience? Did you employ him because of his training i.e tech cert with managment portion?

No i employed him with no experience and trained him. He has been running jobs for around a year now. My piont was its the level of experince which is key rather than age. In the first five years he was with me he worked on a variety of complex jobs including large scale pruning and removal contracts as far from home as south america. I know guys who have worked in the industry far longer with less experience.

I believe attitute, experienc and people skills all go hand in hand, lenght of time in the industry is less important. If the firm is running several jobs a day its still down to the boss to ensure the guy running each site is sorking within his limits.

wasnt you moaning recently about not doing what you wanted to do?

Yeah that was me but now doing trees full time and loving it . It's good to have a moan some times gets it all out there done me the world of good and I am looking on the bright side of life. I respect what your saying I'm very lucky to be in the position I am in and will have to learn along the way with guys like you and others on here . Ps be nice to catch up if your going fungi hunting I'm in.:thumbup: