Used my Hitch climber for the first time this week.

slimjimvw

Nail on the head.

How has this thread turned in a splice discussion. I was just exited to have used and liked the hitch climber :blushing:

Not criticising but your post made it sound like they cut splices off your ropes, most LOLER inspectors are external so it sounded like a contentious thing, we are all (rightly) a bit precious about our kit:thumbup1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would he, if as the op says it was just because they weren't CE marked?

Take the time to read it agin

Someone within the organisation is tasked with LOLER issues, it is curent thinking that non CE splices dont have a formalised audit trail and that is not LOLER compliant so they fail.

They fail "just" becasue they arent loler compliant, simples.

Not criticising but your post made it sound like they cut splices off your ropes, most LOLER inspectors are external so it sounded like a contentious thing, we are all (rightly) a bit precious about our kit:thumbup1:

This was how I interpreted it as well. Sorry to derail the thread. To get back to the original post, hitchclimber is a great bit of kit. Take the time to read the Hitchclimbers Guide to the Canopy. Lots of tips!!!

Sorry fellas. Not contentious at all. Communication breakdown , english was never my strong point :blushing:

Just to finally clarify , I spliced WORK owned ropes and the in house LOLER chap cut them off because they were obviously not CE approved. Understandable. :huh:

Anyway..........back to the Hitch climber.

O rig also works well without spliced eyes.

I tried that , really liked it actually. Especially for longer pulls back up it was nice being able to pull from below , very easy. Only really works once you've got a TIP , change overs would be a PITA.

The HC works so much better with spliced eyes so rather than using knots, which are in many ways inferior to splices. Why not just sub the ropes and get the employer to buy new ones.

It would be a bit of a stretch to call them unfit for purpose just because they are lacking a splice but you could make a good case for replacing them as best practice.