Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I like about the HH, I climbed around the top of this Horse Chestnut using drt down to the tie in point in the picture, then swapped to SRT for the long branch walks, it's easy to get back to the tie in point to change over, if required, say if you are coming down.

Sometimes I won't use a biner but instead a ruining bowline with a long tail for easy reach.

There are no absolutes, everything is fluid and changes tree by tree, branch by branch.

image.jpg.66908f9db5897a644d3b2ec0c6a5ffce.jpg

So,

I've given it a good bash recently and think its really good. Ive also looked at ways to make it a safer system, like terminating the friction cord (with enough slack between that and the dogbone for it to still function normally) at the steel crab, which in theory makes it exactly like a RW if failure occurs and a uni if you run a klemheist above it and the legs through the top eye and into the crab below.

So im really impressed with the responsive movement from touching the hitch, makes the rw look like pulling a prussik. havent setup a decent chest attachment yet so can reall compare it to the uni but i still think ascent it will be hard to beat it.

So i think its a hell of a lot better than the rw and much more responsive, better on branch walks and really compact.

runs a treat on cougar blue too.

That's good to hear Ian. It'd be interesting to see a pic of what you're talking about with the safety side of things......not that I think it's unsafe....just curious. I'm looking forward to trying it on a thinner more static rope, it's my 40th in a couple of weeks so may get one for that.....or is that a little sad haha!!

Not sad at all Gerbutt, I'm hoping for Kernmaster from Santa!

Ian, thanks for posting. Although I was the first to get a HH I've only used it on one rope so it's good to get reports from you guys with more gear than a dealership!

I too am interested to see a photo of your idea although I think it's been tried before in America. Maybe DMc, Rumination or someone can confirm this.

I had a great day on mine today. Repollarding three Lime trees I was the redirect king, placing my rope over the pollard heads to create easy redirects.

It would have been a friction hell job on DdRT!

8mm Armor Pruss was working a treat on Poison HiVee.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

... Ive also looked at ways to make it a safer system, like terminating the friction cord (with enough slack between that and the dogbone for it to still function normally) at the steel crab ...

I, also, would like to see a picture of your idea. It is almost impossible for me to get a new piece of kit and not start fiddling around with ways to make it better. I tried lots of different things with the HH. Some things worked well, some did not, but I think it is telling that the way I like it best and the way I use it, is the way it came. Plain and simple, it is a great tool.

Glad you're enjoying it, Ian.

David

...I had a great day on mine today...I was the redirect king, ...8mm Armor Pruss was working a treat on Poison HiVee.

LOL! Good to hear that the AP is working well for you. Just a tip on it though, it lasts forever but loses some of it's feel well before it is worn out. If it starts to become less functional, just chuck it and put on a new piece.

David

Not sad at all Gerbutt, I'm hoping for Kernmaster from Santa!

Ian, thanks for posting. Although I was the first to get a HH I've only used it on one rope so it's good to get reports from you guys with more gear than a dealership!

I too am interested to see a photo of your idea although I think it's been tried before in America. Maybe DMc, Rumination or someone can confirm this.

I had a great day on mine today. Repollarding three Lime trees I was the redirect king, placing my rope over the pollard heads to create easy redirects.

It would have been a friction hell job on DdRT!

8mm Armor Pruss was working a treat on Poison HiVee.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Hmm, don't tell Pete Mctree.