Hitch Hiker thread.

...Do any of you other use a piece of rubber to stop the crab from turning round when not under load? I had it do that once the other day.

It appears that what people like in slack tending tethers are as personal as everything else we do. I have tried several different styles and keep coming back to this one. It also makes a very good and smooth corner trap and when not in use it can be rotated so that it is positioned with the loop down and in between the carabiner opening.

100_4819.jpg

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried exactly the same thing as DMc, made from a Cobra insert thing. Once cut to the right size it was easy to clip in and out of and acted like a mediocre corner trap.

But, because I use a Lyon sling as a chest harness, the chest biner was in line with the loop, unlike Dave's chest clip.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

No rain today for us guys in hot and humid Norwich ;) there was a little SRT action in the afternoon and out come the hitchhiker :D stripped this 45ft cedar which had about a ton of wire in it from an old crows nest! I asked Ian what the hell they feed there birds round that way, there was bits of tv aerials chicken wire the lot!!!!! Anyway just thought I'd post this picture in here for you Ali ;)ImageUploadedByArbtalk1369773023.452544.jpg.7211792d26eac29cea3243d7f5bb5c26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

Rain coming here OMTC, working my ding out trying to get some fine weather jobs done before tomorrow. Just hoping the wind holds off today.

I to tried Daves setup but couldn't replicate the material to an acceptable working level. I tried rubber belt (to floppy), thicker stuff (to floppy and heavy). Tried some plastic sheet (not flexible enough) etc. I had a loop made of plastic coated small SS cable with the tight eyes swagged but the eyes got chewed up in the biner slot thus the 6mm cord was the next move. A fella on the buzz, 'moss', makes some real nice stuff, mines just a rough one that does the job.

Cheers,

Tony

...I to tried Daves setup but couldn't replicate the material to an acceptable working level. ...Tony

This is the stuff I used, Tony. It is incredibly strong with the right amount of flexibility. Obviously the brand is not important as this poly material is used for many things.

Dave

Strapmaterial.jpg

The hitchhiker is great when chogging down a stem its nice just to have that bit of extra space where the rope wrench used to sit chocked off :)

Right on Adam, that's where I use mine exclusively, I just haven't got it to perform like the wrench yet when getting around. :thumbup1:

Cheers,

Tony

Right on Adam, that's where I use mine exclusively, I just haven't got it to perform like the wrench yet when getting around. :thumbup1:

Cheers,

Tony

That has surprised me Tony as I'm really loving it working around the tree, for me it's defiantly on par with the performance of the wrench :)

Also I much prefer ascending on the hitchhiker for one main reason being its the same length as the hitch climber pulley and hitch and nothing above it! there for more room for a hand ascender and no crashing Into the wrench :)