Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note i might get into kit modelling........ no but really this is the setup we had with the Hitch Hikers Hitch. Is it right??

No, the end of the cord is frayed.

Only joking. Looks right to me but if that's how you tied it prior to climbing it would have been too loose while climbing.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

No, the end of the cord is frayed.

Only joking. Looks right to me but if that's how you tied it prior to climbing it would have been too loose while climbing.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

This was pre climb :001_tongue: cool i was worried for a bit that my review was on the wrong hitch. :thumbup1:

Do you think they will bring out a mkII with some improvements like a small pulley for easier tending.

This was pre climb :001_tongue: cool i was worried for a bit that my review was on the wrong hitch. :thumbup1:

Do you think they will bring out a mkII with some improvements like a small pulley for easier tending.

I don't know but I doubt it. It wasn't designed with that style of slack tending in mind.

A couple of guys in America have tried it with a Pinto underneath but apparently it can lead to a problem.

It's a funny little device. Some people make a big deal about the weight but it's attached to the rope above the harness therefore weight is a none issue.

Some people get knickers twisted if it doesn't work as they want it to, instantly.

The HH is unlike any other device because it's neither just mechanical or just hitch based. The most important thing to remember is that it is extremely adjustable and the hitch cord/climbing rope combination makes a massive difference just as much as how you set the hitch. 2mm adjustment on the barrel knot below the dogbone is like the difference between night and day.

NOBODY will dial it in and suss the technique on the first climb. One needs an open mind and the ability to stop comparing it to the other products on the market.

I would compare an LJ to an SJ but I would never compare an LJ to a Unicender because they are so different from each other. Yes, they do the same job but in a very different way therefore, different 'rules' must be applied to utilising the benefits of each.

... does anyone know why it has a 40kn rating by the way????:confused1:

Why confused? I have heard several prominent climbers question this and it always leaves me with a feeling of doubt as to their motives. This is not a mystery!

The Hitch Hiker is a full life-support tool with distinct points of attachment. Those being the Dogbone and the lower carabiner slot. Points of attachment must be rated for load. Having points of attachment that are far stronger than the expected working load is also an industry norm. This is done to ensure an adequate margin of safety and account for strength loss due to wear over the tool's anticipated working life. Everything we use is built stronger than the anticipated or achievable loads.

Dave

Why confused? I have heard several prominent climbers question this and it always leaves me with a feeling of doubt as to their motives. This is not a mystery!

The Hitch Hiker is a full life-support tool with distinct points of attachment. Those being the Dogbone and the lower carabiner slot. Points of attachment must be rated for load. Having points of attachment that are far stronger than the expected working load is also an industry norm. This is done to ensure an adequate margin of safety and account for strength loss due to wear over the tool's anticipated working life. Everything we use is built stronger than the anticipated or achievable loads.

Dave

Ulterior motives, sorry to disappoint but i havent got any :thumbdown: I was more curious to be honest, just seemed weird that it had sigh a high number bearing in mind an ascender only need to pass something like 8kn for safe use. just thought maybe it was originally being designed for something else and this came along. :confused1: