Hitch Hiker thread.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my HH for a week or so now, not got to use it much but had a few climbs. First thing I noticed when unpacking it was it doesn't feel heavy like has been mentioned, which was a nice surprise. I'm not that used to srt so it's been great being able to swap from drt to srt without having to change anything. It seems to work well in both methods. It's great not having anything above the hitch and having no sit back is good too. A couple of questions, I'm on a 13mm, little bit fluffy xtc rope, will it make as much difference to how it flows getting a thinner rope as I imagine it will? And, I was going to get some kernmaster but I think if like something I can use drt too, what would be best? Thanks all 😃

I've had my HH for a week or so now, not got to use it much but had a few climbs. ... I'm on a 13mm, little bit fluffy xtc rope, will it make as much difference to how it flows getting a thinner rope as I imagine it will? ...😃

There will be a lot of personal preference in a response to this type of question, but I would recommend staying with a fat rope, at least for now.

When first making the change to SRT-WP you will probably be over using your arms, until you figure things out. Having a fat rope will take some of the pain away from your hands and arms due to it being easier to hang on to. For improving the flow you could try a 24 strand double braid like Vortex.

The thin ropes will run smoother but will need to have the hitch adjusted just right in order to be both functional and safe.

Have fun with your HH, you made a good choice.

David

Cheers D Mc. I think Vortex is the rope we can't get over here in the uk isn't it? I did like the kernmaster when I had a go with Adams on the RW but it's not really for Drt too is it? I'll stick with what I have for now until I get better at srting a tree.

Really pleased with how it all works at the mo though, just wondered if it could be better. Buying it was relatively pain free and Sam at Ropetek was a pleasure to deal with! I keep reading everything you got to say D Mc, on here and the other forums, keep up the good work 😀

Ger

Good job Ger.

I've been using the Poison HiVee and that worked well with the supplied Beeline and 8mm Armor Pruss and best for me has been 6mm Liros (but you didn't hear that from me:blushing:).

I'll echo what DMc said about over working the arms while you adjust to the new system and technique. The thicker rope will help at this stage.

Have a look at the Hedera rope thread because apparently that is Kernmaster in a different colour and price.

Keep the questions coming.

Cheers Al👍

I thought that about the way the stopper knots look in the photo, but really the one that came tied is about an inch and half and the one I've done is a tad longer so all's good.

The first tending loop I made I did it stitched out of 8mm rope like Adams, that worked well for the Carabiner that came with it but the DMM one I have now is a little narrower so the 8mm was too thick. The one in the pick is made from a little bit of 6mm rope from B&Q (because Go Outdoors was shut) and I've just taped the ends over. It was very easy to make and works well.

I've had a look at the other rope like kern, seems to be the same price to me and if you want 45m in 11.7 it's a bit dearer....but I'm sure it'd be ace...apart from being green, harder to see!

I've had a little play in the garden this afternoon and I was taking notice of the angles like you've said, it does make a difference with tending slack instead of just trying to rip it through like a mad man 😃

A couple of questions, I'm on a 13mm, little bit fluffy xtc rope, will it make as much difference to how it flows getting a thinner rope as I imagine it will? And, I was going to get some kernmaster but I think if like something I can use drt too, what would be best? Thanks all 😃

hey bud,

I've been using my hh on yale blue tongue which is 11.7mm, I've just ordered kernmaster as I wanted a second rope for access and something I can use for srtwp, and ordered it over hedera purely because its orange not green! but the hh works lovely on my blue tongue, it does have a fair bit of stretch in it but I find i'm able to pull most of it out before I head upwards and feels almost like a static rope once you've a bit of weight under you...I had a few climbs on velocity as I was gonna buy it as my first 'thin' rope, which I did like but it killed my hands, 11.7 rope is a nice medium, I should be easier to get to grips (scuse the pun!) with the 11mm kern now, hope this helps:001_smile: