is there rules?

Alasdair

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some excellent climbers who cant footlock to save their lives and only use a throwline as a last resort. They can get around a big tree just fine using only the basics, hats off to them.

I cant help thinking that if they acquired a few extra skills it would make life a lot easier though!

i had to dead wood monster wide oaks and sweet chestnuts on a golf course.

it was a nightmare doing it with my basic techniques. i used my throw line for that but could really of done with some of the fancy we pully things, the friction from the rope round a big limb was a pain in the arse.

Thats where footlocking or SRT comes into its own, as the rope doesnt move on the anchor during the inital ascent, so there is no issue with friction.

Once your in a simple 2 ring friction saver will reduce friction on your anchor point, I wouldnt rush out and buy a Ropeguide.

Thats where footlocking or SRT comes into its own, as the rope doesnt move on the anchor during the inital ascent, so there is no issue with friction.

Once your in a simple 2 ring friction saver will reduce friction on your anchor point, I wouldnt rush out and buy a Ropeguide.

Do you not find a bit of friction is good? Keeps the rope still while you push the prussik up. Unless im roped round a thick branch lower down i never use one (which is never). Footlocking is hard. Don't use that either. lol. :001_tongue:

Do you not find a bit of friction is good? Keeps the rope still while you push the prussik up. Unless im roped round a thick branch lower down i never use one (which is never). Footlocking is hard. Don't use that either. lol. :001_tongue:

friction is your friend, but when it is round something big at a crap angle plus bouncing off another limb, then its a pain.

when you are younger and superfit and climbing full time it was never an issue, but i am certainly open to new ideas, but most of the time i am scrambling about conys:001_smile:

Friction/cambium savers prevent damage to the tree, and reduce wear on the rope. There are always ways of introducing more friction into the system. I take the point about body thrusting with a long hitch, such as a blakes. Changing to a short hitch and modifying the body thrust technique accordingly will make ascending on a reduced friction system easier.

All the effort you put into overcoming the friction in your anchor point is wasted. I would rather use that effort productively, in getting more work done for less energy used.

If footlocking isnt your bag, why not look into an SRT ascent system?

F/L isnt hard if you overcome the initial learning curve and get good at it anyway.

i got told today that if u cant footlock or use a throwline your not a very good climber,(this came from the nats in nz)

LOl nice1 I must be completly and utterly pants then :001_smile:

Although I do have a throwline it doesnt get used much but then I only climb 10 foot trees!

As someone else mentioned you need to sort of visualise where you want it to go, just keep your eye on the target and dont get agro or you will end up launching it around 5 branches and then you will never get it down :001_smile: