I'm absolutely incensed !!!!!!!

born2trot

All the full time medics are seconded out to uk hospitals for a wider experience of what they would get in a military hospital. The TA medics are normally working full time in the NHS anyway and spend 4 months or so out in Afgahn at a time.

Channel 5 did a series a couple of years ago about the medics which I watched closely as my nephew is regularly sent out there and also a couple of mates are medics in the marines and RAF.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story I was told was perhaps embellished a little, but was about SAS training (yawn) a mate joined 21 SAS (a TA unit?) and maintained that the regular SAS medical trained staff got experience well beyond their Civvy Equivalent pay grade ( as in our nurses are not even allowed to stitch a wound), that requires a Dr., Sir.:lol:

Which would not exactly work on the battlefield.:lol:

If you see what I mean.

I think the statistics speak for themselves. 90% survival rate in Helmand. (i think thats right of the top of my head). Most of those doing this training are not the surgeons but the frontline medics based outside Bastion. So the MERT teams, combat medics embedded with ground troops etc

Like some have already said all military surgeons practice (for want of a better word) in the NHS.

Seem to remember the chap who was against it that they interviewed said that the Israelis didn't do it so why are we?

Seem to remember the chap who was against it that they interviewed said that the Israelis didn't do it so why are we?

That is indeed a shaky argument... by that reasoning we should be punting missiles over into Wales.....:001_huh:

Hmmm.... not a bad idea now I think of it.... :001_tongue:

Verry interesting HCR, do tell?

Patrol medics do regular stints in A&E, doing such jobs as stitching wounds, intubating, cannulating etc. These are the kinds of things that need to be done not only to battlefield casualties, but just as importantly, to 'locals' as part of the hearts and minds process.

I wish someone would shoot Cameron/Clegg

Then we could all get on with living

Rock on Guy Fawkes:thumbup1:

As for pigs, looking at both sides as I know two people involved in this..... Wild boar. Lovely pigs in the wild but have to be culled or they would ruin everything eventually. One friend does the culling and one friend is very anti culling and raises money to help the wild boar. See there is no ideal world:001_tt2:

And my mother was a butcher so I like pig:thumbup: on a plate :001_rolleyes:

I disagree Mick, it's not about being "hard", ihate to see anything or anyone suffer, but if by doing this it helps to advance the treatment of many, then it's not in vain. I don't condone it, or see it as a good thing, but more as a necessity. If there were a better way, I'd sooner see it used. But I can't think of one, barring using paedos or rapists, but that would contravene their human rights. I don't think there is a suitable answer to this really.