Birch Firewood

Richie G

I would not buy it without one, otherwise how do you know what you are getting.

makes no diff whether theres 10 ton on a lorry or 20... as long as lorrys full whats it matter...??

only time you'd wanna no is if you had load pure oak or beech and lorry wouldnt be full but you'd wanna make sure you had 26 ton on an artic..

i took 6 loads out last week and they all ranged from 21-26.5 tons per load..

but same amount wood on trailer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

makes no diff whether theres 10 ton on a lorry or 20... as long as lorrys full whats it matter...??

only time you'd wanna no is if you had load pure oak or beech and lorry wouldnt be full but you'd wanna make sure you had 26 ton on an artic..

Its all twisted green beech round here. Plenty of 2 in sticks and bananas.

What a load of balls.

Everyone in the chain wants/needs to know whats gone - volume can be made to work in either buyer or sellers favour depending on who loads it.

Going by weight there's no arguing.

Doubt you'd be very busy round us.

yeah.. bought 2 loads beech today.. 60% would go through processor ok rest needs saw through it... anyone want it let me no..

If I had got 60% of my delivered cord through the processor I might still be doing firewood. Come to think of it if I got 60% of the wood I ordered might still be doing it. :laugh1:

What a load of balls.

Everyone in the chain wants/needs to know whats gone - volume can be made to work in either buyer or sellers favour depending on who loads it.

Going by weight there's no arguing.

Doubt you'd be very busy round us.

so if i'm selling the birch/alder ash thats been cut since june that weighs around 22 ton and exactly same load thats been fresh felled that weighs 25 ton... tell me what the diff is... i'll tell you what it is.. theres no diff so weight is irrelevant... all anyome buying firewood needs to no is that the lorry is full.... end of... if the wood weighs light and your expecting 26 ton on load and only get 22 all they do is put price cord up accordingly.. hence reason fresh felled beech is £35 ton roadside and pure ash or birch is £40-45..it aint rocket science!!!!

I think when buying cord you need to trust the person your buying from not to pull a fast one I am more interested in buying volume rather than 4 tonnes of water. From seeing Nick Channers previous posts I would trust him to deliver me a good load of timber if I was still in the game. If I move premises and can get an arctic in and you have some nick I will get some large butts of softwood of you in the future.

so if i'm selling the birch/alder ash thats been cut since june that weighs around 22 ton and exactly same load thats been fresh felled that weighs 25 ton... tell me what the diff is... i'll tell you what it is.. theres no diff so weight is irrelevant... all anyome buying firewood needs to no is that the lorry is full.... end of... if the wood weighs light and your expecting 26 ton on load and only get 22 all they do is put price cord up accordingly.. hence reason fresh felled beech is £35 ton roadside and pure ash or birch is £40-45..it aint rocket science!!!!

Very few wagons, especially 8 wheelers, will be able to leave site with a full load of fresh hardwood firewood on up to the top of the bolsters and not be over weight if they're loaded by a good driver.

Of course price is going to vary per ton depending on what it is and how dry - but you're talking tonnes one minute and volume the next - make your mind up.

When wagons are going out up to weight but not up to the top of the pins, it's a full load in sense of weight but obviously not volume. The landowner/contractor/buyer whatever is still going to need some sort of definite point of reference as to what's gone and there's no real arguing with a weight ticket.

It wouldn't take much for an unscrupulous driver to fill to the top of the pins, drop some off on the way and roll up with a part load on would it? Not saying a weight ticket solves that problem but at least there's some part of a paper trail.

Sorry Nick, as much as I respect you and your business, if i buy 26 tonnes of wood, i want 26 tonnes of wood, whether its oak beech or larch. I will have agreed a price with the seller for 26 tonnes of said species, and that price will reflect on the volume of timber i will get, if i get less volume than i expected, then that is my lookout, as long as there is 26 tonnes on board then thats ok coz thats what i wanted, but i dont want 24 tonnes coz i have paid for 26 or if there is only 24 tonnes thats all I will be paying for, REGARDLESS of volume

Thats just my thoughts on it and thats how i work.

Woodworm