Do you think its a reasonable wage?

Stu

Im currently a self employed hand cutter i earn about £75 a day doing this but pay for everything like fuel saws etc

ive now just been offered a job on the books doing work for an estate, theyve offered me 17 k for the first 6 months and then 18k there after doing 7 30 to 4 30 mon till thur and fri 7 30 till 3 30.

i dont think its a bad wage at all but some people think after tax and ni insurance it wont work out to be alot about 54 a day.

ive accepted the job atm but i also have a few other choices doing other work for another estate as a self employed estate worker, i will earn alot more money than being on the cards but theres no garantee that it will be work for ever!

so the question is what do people think about 17 k and what are peoples opinions on what i should do?

cheers stu

there is alot to be said for job security , and even more to be said for not having to do your books,complete tax returns , buy your own kit , ensure you have work right throughout the year oh and do all of that and hold down a full time job on less than £80 a day . if i had known what i know now when i started my own firm i probably would have stayed on the books !!

17k on the books isn't bad.

Think of it like this you get holiday about 25 days a year which is paid. You more than likely get sick pay. Could even be a pension scheme too.

Fuel, PPE and training will all be provided.

Also you know your always going x miles to work every day.

You might earn more self employed but how much extra work does finding work create you. Also fuel for saws and trucks is only going up where as your wage will stay the same. You might be lucky and doing hand cutting work with 20 miles of you at the moment but that will move out to 50 miles one day and that's a long drive.

I'd take the job lot more security and benefits in it that self employment.

cheers guys ive made the right decision in taking it i recon :) i am looking forward to it! just had a few doubts, a few people recon i can earn more being self employed which maybe the case but then i might have time without work etc

cheers people

Paid holidays, sickness, pay in very bad weather when normally you may not work. Will they pay for refresher / further training. In this climate it sounds ok to me, if your short you can always do the odd Saturday for a bit extra.

An employer has an obligation to provide any training required for the job, whether new or refresher. :thumbup1: