Best saw for a small firewood operation?

bushtuckaman

Guys, thanks again for all the input! :001_smile:

It looks like you’re right teepeeat, it looks like availability has narrowed my decision! Husqvarna have stopped supplying the 353 and 346xp :thumbdown:, there are none about (or not with the dealers around me at least) Also some of the slightly bigger saws that have been mentioned, like the 357xp and 359xp don’t appear on the website anymore, so I think they have gone also.

Tbh some of these more powerful saws make me slightly nervous. I’ve had no formal training with chainsaws, but I consider myself a safe user and being comfortable with the a 50cc saw, I’m a bit reluctant to get one that puts me outside of my comfort zone:scared1: Maybe I should man-up!:001_huh:

Well I’ve narrowed it down (with help from Husqvarna’s product changes) to the 545 or 550xp (with 15“ bar on the back of your advice on this forum). I think the new range ‘autotune’ models are probably the way to go anyway - optimal power, better fuel economy, cleaner exhaust inhalation.

545 (which I think replaces the 353)- similar power 2.5kw to the old saw, light at 4.9kg, no ‘Revboost‘, Classic orange! Best online price £437,

HUSQVARNA 545 - Professional chainsaws

550xp (which I think replaces the 346xp) - more power 2.8kw, same weight 4.9kg, has ‘Revboost‘, Has the ‘dark side’ sliver case! Best online price £483

HUSQVARNA 550 XP® - Professional chainsaws

Looking at the specs I do wonder if the 545 is just an autotune restricted 550xp without the silver case!

I’m leaning towards the 545 on old saw similarity grounds, but I suspect the brethren here are going to say get the more punchy 550xp :scared1:

Cheers

John

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest getting a husky 550 xp with 15" bar. You can pick one up for a little under £500 incl vat. I've just purchased one and am really pleased with it. I would spend an extra £30 and get the heated handle and then look forward to those cold winter mornings!!

Have a look at the Dolmar 50cc saws TCD is importing £380 new inc warranty. Think this saw would be my choice.

+1. Good saw at good value. Makita version is almost same price.

Ive used a few of the older Makita DCS520's and its great with 18" bar - so much iv just bought a Dolmar 115i :001_smile:

Well its done, I've gone deep and bought myself a 550xp. Looking at it now, I must say she looks reeeal pretty :001_tt2: I think that little bit of extra juice will help speed production up. I went for a 15" bar and got myself a 18" spare as well for a bit of flexibility. I'm massively looking forward to firing this baby up tmrw :biggrin:

Thanks for all the feedback guys, every one of you have been very helpful and generous with your advice! I'll report back once I've had a bit of time on the saw!

Cheers

John

Well done . Now do you know about setting the auto tune first time you use it ?. Read the bit in the hand book .Also the hot start thing . My 560 hot starts like all the older saws NOT how they tell you in the book . Starting from hot on my 560 is ONE pump of primer bulb and pull , it starts . Don't touch the red lever . It is always in the on position . It resets as soon as you switch off . I find you don't need to touch it for hot start like it says in the book . Hope this is of help .

• 1 year later...

So, the night before last at 4.30am I disturbed a a gang of thieves in the process of burgling our house/garage. They made off with my 2 Husqvarna chainsaws (550xp and 55), husqvarna brushcutter 545rx, a masport lawnmower, chainsaw helmet. Also went through the whole ground floor of the house, where they grabbed cash in wallets, a watch, car keys and would have had alot more had I not spotted them out of the window! Apparently, there have been 6 burglaries like this in the Vale of Glamorgan in the last few weeks, so anyone local best keep vigilant and if you get offered these items get in touch please.

I'm feeling really angry! Basically I'm now sawless and urgently need to get a new one to cut up a load of semi seasoned spruce that will be going out later this winter!

I though I would post as I was wondering if there were any new wonder chainsaws about that I should replace the stolen 550xp with, which is now my main firewood saw and I like alot(except the hot start). I was thinking about getting the warm handles version, the 550xpg at the moment.

Any thoughts welcome!? ;-)

Cheers

John

Edited by bushtuckaman