Environment Agency madness i guess!!

Theocus

The EA are pollarding the willows near me with a large 360 digger and a shear attachment. There must be 25-30 willows to do, i spoke to one of the guys and asked how they were getting on, what they were doing etc etc and it turns out they are going to burn all the wood and brash on site as burning will have a lower carbon footprint than putting it through a chipper!!!

As far as i can see they have torn up the farmers field with the digger, burn large patches of grassland and left crushed stubs about 1 foot long on the willows!!! This is crazy as far as i can see. Anyone else heard of burning being better for the environment than chipper because i havent!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The carbon from the tree is from what 60/80 years ago, the carbon from the diesel in your chipper is from millions of years ago.

If you chip the tree, as the chip rots it will release the carbon any way.

Leave the oil in the ground and the carbon will stay there.

They are right.

The carbon from the tree is from what 60/80 years ago, the carbon from the diesel in your chipper is from millions of years ago.

They are right.

wat? have u seen a bonfire? it not just the carbon its the heat also. plus woodchips normally rot down on flower beds and paths puttin valuble nutrience back in to the ground. sounds like there havin u on mate to be honest.:confused1::thumbdown:

They are right.

Ditto. On the other hand pruning trees with shears on a 360 is a far worse crime than burning a bit of diesel. Why not prune with a chainsaw and use the diesel that would have gone i the 360 to chip the brash and then use the chip for heating.:001_smile:

wat? have u seen a bonfire? it not just the carbon its the heat also. plus woodchips normally rot down on flower beds and paths puttin valuble nutrience back in to the ground. sounds like there havin u on mate to be honest.:confused1::thumbdown:

Does the engine on your chipper not get hot?:confused1:

The ash left from the fire is also full of nutrients.

it sounds like they have a new toy and want to play with it, so why not try it out on some willows in afield and burn the brash. sounds like another 'proper job' to me.

i bet they used tyres to start the fire and found some carbon release reason to do it instead of a car doing 40.000 miles poluting the atmosphere over 2 years just torch the pirellis instead.yeehaa!