Environment Agency madness i guess!!

Theocus

I really don't understand this :confused1:

It is and has alway been perfectly legal too burn stuff on the site on which it has been produced.

You can't, during the cause of your business, create "dark smoke", cause a nuisance, of burn plastic and crap.

You also cannot move material too a different site and burn it, I believe.

we were told by bradford council we could burn @ are yard & dueley gaves a ticket to burn that included imported waste from tree work sites not just are own where they slipped up was they didnt put a limit on what we could burn. as long as it is white smoke they cant do a great deal. but that kind of planning would not be granted now i can asure you guys of that

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The carbon from the tree is from what 60/80 years ago, the carbon from the diesel in your chipper is from millions of years ago.

If you chip the tree, as the chip rots it will release the carbon any way.

Leave the oil in the ground and the carbon will stay there.

They are right.

Agreed, a carbon rotation cycle is decades, is preferable to millennia.

we were told by bradford council we could burn @ are yard & dueley gaves a ticket to burn that included imported waste from tree work sites not just are own where they slipped up was they didnt put a limit on what we could burn. as long as it is white smoke they cant do a great deal. but that kind of planning would not be granted now i can asure you guys of that

It doesn’t matter what the council say it’s the Environment agency that have the say.

Burning at the site of production is OK within specified limits but if you transport waste to your yard for incineration you need a commercial incineration licence.

Right here goes,

You will find if you talk to the EA you can burn up to 10 tons on site each day if it doesn't cause a neusence, also it needs to be on site not back at yards.

The EA do have qualified climbers I was talking to one on Thursday they are just not in every region. The reason being some area managers got very concerned after the incident John mentioned, There are many EA guys that would love to be climbers. Contary to popular belief the EA use lots of contractors ask any lads that work for OPS they will moan about it!

As for the use of an excavator mounted shear, we'd need to see pics of site to see why they choose it, but we have used one when coppicing on steep slippy banks isn't safe for a ground operator. a machine coppiced some willows for us last year and to be honest it would be hard to tell now as they are back stronger than ever.

Yep I work for EA ops delivery you'll find most of us guys want to do a good job, be qualified climbers etc but we have to work within some of the strictist H&S in the country not all of it being practical, popular or sensible!

The work should have also had a full conservation survery by trained people prior to commencement. Bat surveys and newt surveys are often carried out.

Edited by madmatt

interesting thred, over the last few mounths i have been carring out tree work for the EA and they aloud us to burn on site with the consent of the land owner. i was surprised when we were told we could burn. it would be interesting to see which is better for the enviroment ...chipping or burning ?

as for the tree shears, yes they do make a mess but are only used on a few sites. where it does impact on wildlife etc... the work is carried out by hand, either by them or arb sub-contractors.

It doesn’t matter what the council say it’s the Environment agency that have the say.

Burning at the site of production is OK within specified limits but if you transport waste to your yard for incineration you need a commercial incineration licence.

p/s just add that was before chippers & the ticket is still valid today & the waste is/was delt within a controlled manner. i see a new can of warms ripe for the opening:001_cool:

p/s just add that was before chippers & the ticket is still valid today & the waste is/was delt within a controlled manner. i see a new can of warms ripe for the opening:001_cool:

OK, so the ticket from the council is valid but at best it covers you for planning use.

The EA still has sway over the rest of it. They can and will stop you if they chose to. It’s hardly a new can of worms.

The EA has had jurisdiction over this for a long time.

Right here goes,

As for the use of an excavator mounted shear, we'd need to see pics of site to see why they choose it, but we have used one when coppicing on steep slippy banks isn't safe for a ground operator. a machine coppiced some willows for us last year and to be honest it would be hard to tell now as they are back stronger than ever.

Exactly. I reckon the willow won't care whether the cuts are neat and tidy. ;)

Trees react to pruning in the same way they react to grazing. They haven't changed their ways since the dinosaurs (or at least woolly mammoths) were giving them a munch :001_cool: so they're not really fussed if some herbert in a digger is causing a tiny bit of carnage and removing next year's leaf area over any other type of damage.

OK, so the ticket from the council is valid but at best it covers you for planning use.

The EA still has sway over the rest of it. They can and will stop you if they chose to. It’s hardly a new can of worms.

The EA has had jurisdiction over this for a long time.

we new that 10+yrs ago so nowt new there:bored:

Burning is definitely preferable to chipping any day. On an operational level these boys haven't got the time, budget, local tip and in many cases road vehicle access to be carting away chips, fire after all is a natural process. A pile of chippings will just leave a patch of contaminated ground and seepage of tannins back into the water course. An old fire patch will become a nettle patch in next to no time, eventually becoming Nitrogen rich and with the potash highly fertile.

Nothing wrong with shear cuts although as a surgeon they horrify me but again much more of a natural "prune" than a branch collar cut. Naturally, branches snap and the resulting "rough" wound becomes a haven for all sorts of life. This is a trees natural process.

Anyway Willow's love being treated rough :blushing: