Today - Helicopter extracting Large Trees

StephF

Yes, the helicopter pilot had a weighing thing on board, they were meant to be all less than 2 tonnes, the original helicopter was too small,and this larger one got sent instead, most of them were around 1.6 tonnes, but there was one larger, that was 2. 3 tonnes according to the scales, a 45 foot tree. You could hear the engine was under strain from a long way off.

Your trees down there weighing allot more than ours up here then!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of considerations vis-a-vis the "weight" of the trees

Since F=M*a

The effective "weight" of the trees would be increased by both the acceleration of the heli as it lifted, plus also the drag of the air resistence.

I will not attempt to quantify by what %age applicable.

PS

Comes of being married to an Astrophysist (female btw) for 20 years.

I know Blackaburn very well from when Alan Hutchinson was at TPH. I'm best mates with his son Neil, who now lives at Lanehead.

Me and Matty (who I've yet to meet in person) keep meaning to have a road trip back up North and a few pints in Stonehaugh social club!

That chopper must have been on a fair hourly rate!

The TPH is next to us, so familiar with all the network that have worked there over years, You must come up with Matt, new social club now,!

Flying Xmas trees interesting Pictures...i like this one!:thumbup1:

I still have no idea how you get a picture on thread! pasted the URL and it did nothing, yes I like that photo too, they did 32 this afternoon and have another 68 tomorrow if weather permits

I was up just after it was finished, but the bloody place was shut!

Very impressive compared to the little shed it replaced, which was next to Alans at 27 Kern Green!

I'm next up for Christmas at Dad and Mams (Elsdon), so will try and get over weather permitting!

Mark, that is indeed the obvious means to determine the correct weight.:001_tt2::001_tt2: As any Civil Engineer (even failed:blushing:) would appreciate.

However, whilst also appreciating that heli pilots are probably less cognativelly challenged than most, I bet more than a few are fishermen at heart.

So when relating the tale, which payload figure are they most likely to use?, especially down the pub.:lol:

Cheers

Marcus

I was up just after it was finished, but the bloody place was shut!

Very impressive compared to the little shed it replaced, which was next to Alans at 27 Kern Green!

I'm next up for Christmas at Dad and Mams (Elsdon), so will try and get over weather permitting!

Not sure if Mat will be here this Christmas,(hoping he can make it!) but you are always welcome to call by and see Tim & me, club open Thursday/Friday and weekend, yes it is VERY different!