Potential ANCIENT tree removal

Ross Smith

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for creating a very interesting thread Ross.

I do not envy you one bit in looking to decide how to deal with this situation.

Reading some of the replies in this thread reminds me of just how little i know, but your last comment,

I've never cut a piece of wood as hard as this
is interesting; with hindsight, had you the opportunity to have carried out a Picus or Resistograph test do you think this may have produced results making retention any more of a possibility?

Ross you mentioned about the hardness of the wood...

I did a road side Beech today with Merip, no where near the size of the job you had. Also some interesting patterns in the wood.

I commented to one of the guys it was like concrete when the splitting mall impacted.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354828558.095776.jpg.77c1da32bd3288f92fa89a4edbc1c082.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354828578.687461.jpg.9d3c8010ecdb6efe516edd1a1dcd1c86.jpg

For me I think the hardness of the wood with the that the tree was over 350 yrs and had so much callous growth here their and everywhere within its lifetime but yes also the infected wood was surprisingly tough and to answer your question about keeping the tree with what I've seen throughout the dismantle is still a tough question, a big part of me wants to say yes because of the healthy appearance of the canopy and strength within 90% of the timber removed but reality and facts told me the tree was potentially vulnerable to complete failure considering the nature of how quick the fungus attacks the root and heartwood of the tree.

It was a tough job from start to finish and hopefully I will never take a tree of this age down again, although I'm starting a bigger beech next week that has merip but is probably 150yrs younger