Billet Rolls

Float

Yes,

But I reckon the bundles will need consoildated.

I might even try a HD rachett strap in the first instance, with 2 rachetts on the same strap to provide more take up for the slack.

Before securing with HD baler twine (thanks Mr Posch) or thin blue rope

Anyway i reckon any of those bought contrivences are too dear since I CAN fabricate better (eventually) my-own-sel.

Chainsaws an PTO 3 point linkage mounted winches are an entirely different kettle of fish

If you had the U frame on the back of the tractor,(facing side to side, unlike the ebay one) then fill it up with billets, throw over two chains/wire ropes attached at front to the drawbar and hook onto the back of the U frame, then lift the hydraulics enough to tighten, strap up and your done.

does that make any sense?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Ha!

I tought of that already, using the lift arms instead of additional rams.

With a strong link down to the fixed "swinging" drawbar as an anchor.

BUT dismissed the idea as that would require me to access the tractor hyd control lever.

Thanks though.

Marcus

Awesome billet roll factory on a an 8 wheeler here:

Check out the big smiley swiss head on the bill hook attendant hehe.

Complex hydraulics going down here, but the billet rack is essentially operating on the same principle as a log grapples only inverted so to speak. Not sure if it could be easily copied in a diy environment, and perhaps have a tipping mechanism added.

web page for this machine: Robert Roth - Forstwirtschaft - Landwirtschaft - Werkstatt

Thank you Rowan.

Was certainly interesting.

I did note a few points:

(i) straight splinter free hardwood, beech I presume.

(ii) despite this regularity of billet size and shape, the care being taken hand aligning each one in the bundle.

I did not see much consolidation of the bundle, even under the hydraulic pressure.

And the very solid/stable bundles handled and stacked with a standard timber grab.

I had figgered the tip of steel strapping (or polywhatsit strapping) end feeding through a guide provided for the purpose.

All in all a very very slick operation.

PS

I figger the bill hook (or is it a hand-bill?) is used coz it allows the operator to trim the very occasional snag or protruding splinter that makes it his length.

PPS

Brain spinning again.

Assessing the sense or practicality of "clipping" my yet to be fabricated bundler, to the side of my forestry trailer (see Avatar) and using the crane on it to unload,swing and stack.

As always

signed

G, M an Twitch.

Edited by difflock

I would have thought when those bundles are dry the strapping is going to be pretty slack leading to high risk of the lengths falling out when moving after drying. I think any processor would look good with that perfect timber. Impressive non the less.

I thought he used the hook to avoid his hands ever being under the billets so avoiding getting his hand squished.

Edited by Woodworks

Should not fall out. Double strapped, and if handled horizontally should sit.

Plus if forward handled by a grab, should clamp the bundle as it is being handled.

Anyway i reckon an Agricultural round bale grab is the perfect tool.

Tilt the bundle back against a backplate, and the billets cannot escape.

Ah!

Ashes:001_tongue:

you could well have spotted a distinct corrolation:lol:

I appear like complicated solutions to simple problems.

Cept to me I see it the other way round:001_rolleyes:

cheers

M

However quite seriously

(i) the meter long trunk and split billet is optimum for manual handling, with mimimal chainsaw cutting.

(ii) the bundled billets are ideal for measuring and easy counting, in m3 quantities.

(iii) perfect for stacking more than head high mechanically and allowing good air flow to facilitate rapid drying.

(iv) Pilfer resistent

(v) suited for mechanical rehandling and onward delivery.

So

I will stick with Der Meisterplannung.

marcus

Edited by difflock

I just like to do all the work up front then when someone places an order I pick a bag up, put it in the trailer & go, minimal work at that stage.

I can see the advantages from a storage & drying point of view (plus the machinery looks interesting) but looks like there's a lot of expense involved to get to the stage where you can do it as quick & efficiently as the various videos you see on YouTube.

Don't get me wrong though, if I had a whole Posch billeting set up given to me for free and a heap of straight wood I'd definitely give it a go lol

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App