Late cancellations as a subbie... Charge? Fee?

swinny

I think it can work both ways.

These days I only work for people who I respect and know they wont extract the urine. As I said it works both ways, I never ask what a job is the day before. Sometimes the job spec is unworkable in the weather conditions. If alternative work can be organised then alls good, if not and they decide to call it off they usually offer petrol money or sometimes I just say don't worry, I wont charge you and go home.

I'd love to be able bill them for the missed days work (but I don't) but it wouldn't prove much. Someone else said if you cannot afford to have a day off here or there then you need to wind your lifestyle in or charge more. Some guys have paid me for the days regardless, which is nice.

On the other hand, I have turned up to jobs and have had a horrendous night with the kids. (One is 5 and the other 18 months) waking up 4-5 times with a screaming bairn isn't gonna help much the day after. Most understand and quite often offer the chance for other work or to go home. Depending on the situation I may take them up on it or just crack on... usually dependant on how important the job is.

As I said it works both ways. I climb and people pay me good money, in return I earn them good money. It is a partnership I enjoy on the most part.

I would like to add though, I rarely, if ever do work for people who take the pi55. If they do then I only work for them once or twice. Luckily I have been freelancing for quite sometime now and am able to choose who I work for.

Edited by Rich Rule

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Why make it into something it isn't?

Sorry swinny, i dont understand what is being made into something it isnt.

If you refer to the animosity aspect arising, then i personally do not run my own company to work with people i do not get along with and not enjoy being at work with. If a subbie demanded to be paid three days for the cancellation id find that slightly off putting, and wouldnt ring to see if he wanted a few shifts in the near future thats for sure.

i may have got the wrong end of the stick.

I think it can work both ways.

These days I only work for people who I respect and know they wont extract the urine. As I said it works both ways, I never ask what a job is the day before. Sometimes the job spec is unworkable in the weather conditions. If alternative work can be organised then alls good, if not and they decide to call it off they usually offer petrol money or sometimes I just say don't worry, I wont charge you and go home.

I'd love to be able bill them for the missed days work (but I don't) but it wouldn't prove much. Someone else said if you cannot afford to have a day off here or there then you need to wind your lifestyle in or charge more. Some guys have paid me for the days regardless, which is nice.

On the other hand, I have turned up to jobs and have had a horrendous night with the kids. (One is 5 and the other 18 months) waking up 4-5 times with a screaming bairn isn't gonna help much the day after. Most understand and quite often offer the chance for other work or to go home. Depending on the situation I may take them up on it or just crack on... usually dependant on how important the job is.

As I said it works both ways. I climb and people pay me good money, in return I earn them good money. It is a partnership I enjoy on the most part.

I would like to add though, I rarely, if ever do work for people who take the pi55. If they do then I only work for them once or twice. Luckily I have been freelancing for quite sometime now and am able to choose who I work for.

If you turned up at my door and it suddenly started chucking it down and we were both in agreement that to be fair neither really wanted to go to work, id go to the garage put some fuel in your car and take you out for a lovely farmers market breakfast with lovely locally sourced produce and a earl grey at Wyleys in warwick. Then wander round the shops wait for lunch and go for a pint, then drive to a suppliers and buy some water proofs for walking the dog and not working in. hehe

It just seems people think i'm un reasonable just from asking a question out of curiosity

You are not unreasonable in the slightest for asking a question about this subject. But it would appear that such agreements have to 50/50. We all like to feel that we are respected and treated as we would treat others.

If you turned up at my door and it suddenly started chucking it down and we were both in agreement that to be fair neither really wanted to go to work, id go to the garage put some fuel in your car and take you out for a lovely farmers market breakfast with lovely locally sourced produce and a earl grey at Wyleys in warwick. Then wander round the shops wait for lunch and go for a pint, then drive to a suppliers and buy some water proofs for walking the dog and not working in. hehe

If your for real, then I will see you at your yard next time it is about to rain...:001_tt2:

If you are takin' the pi55, I wouldn't have been working for you anyway.:biggrin:

You are not unreasonable in the slightest for asking a question about this subject. But it would appear that such agreements have to 50/50. We all like to feel that we are respected and treated as we would treat others.

I agree with this always have.

I dont see anything wrong in a young up and coming subbie climber protecting his interests with some t&c's and enforcing it in appropriate circumstances . We are all decent folks on here but know fine well this industry is rife with genuine undesirables .