What chainsaw to get?

DanDelion

i did my cs30/31 assment with a 353 witch is like a slightly lower powered 346xp.. try looking at a 353 or a ssecond hand 346xp (with the silver side) if ur budget could be uped slightly to 480 you can get a brand new 550xp which replaced the 346xp. better to buy a new saw as you know its history.

The 353 isn't a bad saw. I bought one new in about 2004/5 and used it day in day out for a few years as my main thinning saw. It wasn't as revvy as a 346 but made the power lower down so was IMO better in the cut than the 346's of the time. Don't think there can be many new one's kicking about but if there are they should be pretty cheap. My dealer offered me one a bit back f0r £400 all in. Only real gripe I had was that they are heavy on clutch springs - know of at least two others that were the same.

It hadn't been used properly for a while but I dug it out of retirement last year for a bit of thinning and it took it fine. Did replace it with the 550 though and the 550 felt leagues ahead power wise.

345/353 will feel positively awful though compared to the 550 - the newer saws feel much the same way to handle as the older 2 series saws from when there was a lot more production cutting going on.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As everyone else has said a 346xp, these are probably the best saws ever made by husky and will cover everything a cs30 etc. will cover you for. it is also great for climbing with, and commercial felling. You will need a second saw at some point, its just common sense, get a bigger saw then and you will be able to cover everything. The old saying "don't run before you can walk" is one you should remember, as should we all!