Damaged chain advice

Pasty Muncher

Sorry to contradict you Skyhuck, but chains most certainly DO stretch.

Sure, the bottoms of the tie bars do wear down, but this makes next to difference to the length of the chain, as it does not effect the pitch. It is the pitch X the number of links that make the length.

The pivot pins all wear minutley as time goes by, and as they do the chain pitch becomes longer, so therfore the chain elongates.

Place the chain on a flat surface and stretch the chain out in a straight line. Compare the length of say, 20 links with a new chain.

A used chain in good order will have usually stretched by about 5 or 6 mm over that length, or around 2%.

I consider 2 to 3% to be about the max allowable, as the drive links will not match the sprockets and the chain will start to run high on the teeth, causing wear to the sprocket.

Indeed, which is wear, not stretch.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a combo of both I'd say - Stihl have some blurb to the effect they are the only manufaturuer to pre stretch their chain to lessen the effect on initial fitting.

"Pre-stretched Chain

All STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain is pre-stretched before leaving the factory. This helps eliminate excessive chain stretching during break-in period, and reduces maintenance time and component wear."

Learn Why STIHL Produces Its Own Saw Chain | STIHL USA Mobile

And I would say that as far as chain goes they do produce the best in the world.

Exactly, if the word 'stretched' is good enough for Stihl, then its good enough for me.

Thanks Garden . Lets face it if its looser than it was before Then its got longer ..What label you want to put on "longer" matters not ! :001_smile:

Thanks Garden . Lets face it if its looser than it was before Then its got longer ..What label you want to put on "longer" matters not ! :001_smile:

Very true, but its important to understand whats happening with equipment.

The fact that links are worn, rather than stretched makes replacing one far more acceptable, as the new link will soon wear in, but it would be unlikely to stretch.

and so it goes around L.O.L. ! I think we all understand now , hopefully . I still say bin it ! I was from the old school of " make do and mend " but down time verses cost on an item like that makes it hardly

worth doing and if you spend too much time pondering it you have lost any way . My Gran , bless her , when she died was using tea towels to dry up the dishes that were full of holes . been like that for ages . In the drawer were 4 or 5 packets of new ones but no way was she gonna open them . See were I am coming from ?

and so it goes around L.O.L. ! I think we all understand now , hopefully . I still say bin it ! I was from the old school of " make do and mend " but down time verses cost on an item like that makes it hardly

worth doing and if you spend too much time pondering it you have lost any way . My Gran , bless her , when she died was using tea towels to dry up the dishes that were full of holes . been like that for ages . In the drawer were 4 or 5 packets of new ones but no way was she gonna open them . See were I am coming from ?

I'd fit a new chain and get that one fixed next time I was in my dealers :001_smile: