Lewis Winch Demo

openboater

W.J.Green in Hadleigh (Ipswich) are agents - they had one in when I dropped in on Saturday.

There has been a recent upgrade to the design, so either buy the last ones of the old design, or hang on a bit, depending on whether you think the upgrade is a good thing!

Alec

That's the place I found online I think.

Did they say what the upgrade was/is?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the place I found online I think.

Did they say what the upgrade was/is?

No - I found them on Youtube I think. From memory, there's a change in the mounting to give a bit more finger room for bolting up, and a change in the oil filler so you don't have to tip it upside down. They've also gone over to full CNC manufacture so that parts are fully interchangeable without fettling. All sensible stuff really, although even the really old ones are effective enough.

Alec

I use mine on an old 372xp. That clutch design is the best, but the winch comes with parts so it will fit either outboard or inboard clutches. I don't use the saw for anything else, as it's an old saw and it's a bit of a pain converting back to chainsaw. I don't think any harm would come to the oil pump anyway.

If you buy an old saw for winch use make sure its inboard like 372xp, as this design is far superior.

I'm not too far from you, so if you want a demo PM me

Think it's something to do with the band brake - have seen a few with the bungee on so am intrigued too.

Cutting Edge uk have them and there was somone else in the UK I found on google but can't remember who off top of my head.

Last time I priced one the were about £850 inc vat for the winch, adaptors and cable.

@BigBolt - what mods have you done to the 362's oil pump so it doesn't go pop? I'd be looking to shove my 372 on it but might still want to fell with it from time to time too. Asked cutting edge at the APF and they were unsure what was the best approach.

Also, how do people get on with mounting the saw indirect (so with an outboard clutch?)

Just an update on the winch demo from earlier in the week.

Took one of my Stihl 084s and can say with total confidence that there's no way to fit the winch to it, at least not without permanent modification to the winch or saw or both.

A new 372xp will fit though, and easily dragged a Countax lawn tractor plus a mate with his foot on the brake pedal up a moderately sloping concrete yard. A good thick glove proved essential for the winch operator's left hand as the exhaust on the saw blows directly at the front handle of the winch from about two inches away.

There's clearly a knack to spooling the cable on smoothly, especially as the strain increases. When the cable spools neatly to one side of the drum it's not easy to force the saw/winch assembly across the line of pull to make the cable begin to return neatly towards the other side of the drum . It tends to stay bunched up at one side which can cause a jammed cable. Needs a bit of practice.

We weren't able to try the winch out on site so first impressions are limited.

Chris the Rep way kind enough to offer me the loan of the winch for a week or two so that a fuller picture of its suitability can be made.

I've just fitted an 064 to it in about 3 minutes so when I get the chance to try the combination on a more taxing task I'll add an update.

Just an update on the winch demo from earlier in the week.

Took one of my Stihl 084s and can say with total confidence that there's no way to fit the winch to it, at least not without permanent modification to the winch or saw or both.

A new 372xp will fit though, and easily dragged a Countax lawn tractor plus a mate with his foot on the brake pedal up a moderately sloping concrete yard. A good thick glove proved essential for the winch operator's left hand as the exhaust on the saw blows directly at the front handle of the winch from about two inches away.

There's clearly a knack to spooling the cable on smoothly, especially as the strain increases. When the cable spools neatly to one side of the drum it's not easy to force the saw/winch assembly across the line of pull to make the cable begin to return neatly towards the other side of the drum . It tends to stay bunched up at one side which can cause a jammed cable. Needs a bit of practice.

We weren't able to try the winch out on site so first impressions are limited.

Chris the Rep way kind enough to offer me the loan of the winch for a week or two so that a fuller picture of its suitability can be made.

I've just fitted an 064 to it in about 3 minutes so when I get the chance to try the combination on a more taxing task I'll add an update.

Thats why I keep banging on about dynemma rope. Stronger than steel, does not kink like wire, and does not jam, when cable is nearly all pulled in. I got rid of the wire rope within a few weeks. Too much trouible. I tend to use the chainsaw chain brake, and got rid of the winch brake.

I understand the Dyneema / Plasma rope advantages, I've used it a lot on a variety of 12v vehicle-mounted winches. What diameter of synthetic rope have you been using ?

As for using the chain brake, I agree again.

But... the friction band type of handbrake on the winch allows you to let tension out of the system gradually. Whether this is important or not will depend on how you are using the winch.

I'm not suggesting the winch should be used as a hoist, but if you were dragging a heavy load up a steep slope the winch brake could be used to lower it back a little to a safe location or to unjam it if the load gets stuck.

Releasing the chain brake would allow the load to descend out of control.

I've only put the winch on a 064 because at present I've got nothing in between that and a Husky 345. The power and cc of the 064 are near the maximum that Lewis recommend for the winch.

I was offered the winch for a trial period and agreed to see what it can do, so it's only fair to find the limits I think.