load size education

borderfirewood

One thing I will add if I may

People keep banging on about a .6 bag holds a .6 load of logs. They actually hold a lot more, I have stopped using them because the customer was getting much more than I was charging them for.

I filled an 85cm square bag with logs as we normally do with the bag suspended on the pallet forks. I then emptied the bag into a solid sided 85 x85 x 85 crate and it over flowed by quite a lot because the bag sides bulge. I put my bag prices up by a tenner because I was charging for 0.6 cu/m

this is true. something like a potato box is a fair and accurate way of measuring logs out imo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get this all the time.

Delivered to a new customer last week and when he was asking about the price and load size he wanted to know how much it was going to weigh... told him I don't sell by weight, I sell by volume. Not even sure you are allowed to sell by weight?

When I got there he said he was asking about weight as the person he bought from previously was selling it in 1 ton loads. But he said it was about the same size as the load I delivered. Which if I had to guess I'd say it was no way a ton, maybe half a ton at the very most of nice dry seasoned logs.

Another one is people thinking if it turns up in a builders bag then it must weigh 1 ton...

Not read all the thread so apologies if I've basically said the same as everyone else :001_tt2:

Sometimes it depends on the quality of the bag. Some monofilament bags we put kindling in are the same measurement but hold 15% because they stretch. We have striped vented 1.5 cu bulk bags when emptied into our 1.5 cu truck we sometimes have to add more.

I think these would be the striped vented, the panels are made up of webbing with venty stuff in between.

Local bloke to me has resorted to removing my adverts off local village noticeboards! He uses a hilux to deliver loads and claims 2 cube per load, he even leaves the spare wheel in the bed! Level load too so would be amazed if 2 cube fitted! I sell by the bulk bag as it's easier to describe How much you get! Easier than saying "trailer full"! People will always try and get a better deal, you just need to offer a quality product.

Sorry to question this but is that really 2m3 ? Our 3M X 1.5M Ifor Williams trailer only holds 1.8 M3 and that load looks much smaller but maybe looks are deceiving.

Smack on. An inch up makes a big difference an inch out not much. The sides I think are over 500mm from memory. I am sure our tt105 ifor tipper is bang on 2 cu as well. Are you sure the sides are only 40cm high if they are 45cm high you will be over 2cu. A heaped load would give you your 2 cu metres.

:blushing:

just knocked up a 1m3 box out of ply wood my 1m3 bags more than fill the wooden box probs about 1.15m3 in one of the bags

so every 7th bag i`v given away a cube of logs!!! doh!!!!:banghead:

just designing a 1m3 box attachment for my front end loader with built in hopper to chute the logs into a bulk bag!!

the profit margin is too low to be giving logs away!!!!!