new mower purchase

TREELINE

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honda do a mower with lockable front castors as well with cutting widths starting at 19" i think and i think it has key start as well.

Tcd are you at the btme in harrogate next week? If so pm me and we could prob meet for a beer if you like.

deffinatly consider the weight tho.one of the grass teams in work have a honda engined jobbie (kaaz, i think).asked for a hand getting on the van recently, me thinks only a lawn mower and nearly put me back out.......wieght on the thing was unbelivable sommat like 63 kilos i think

honda do a mower with lockable front castors as well with cutting widths starting at 19" i think and i think it has key start as well.

Tcd are you at the btme in harrogate next week? If so pm me and we could prob meet for a beer if you like.

Sorry mate no, not at the BTME altho I wish I could be. Never been - any good? I'm in the market for a new cylinder machine this spring; dunno whether to just have an Atco or go for a nearly new Ransomes / Dennis / Allett Buffalo...

yeah its a good show even tho' its aimed at turfcare for sportsturf. The big names aren't there every year now as they are alternating between btme and saltex to cut costs. For cylinder mowers apparently protea mowers from south africa are as good as allett et al but cheaper.

I bought a viking (stihl) mower last year for some regular maintenance work we do, aluminium deck, powered drive works good in the wet and can be used to mulch. Was about half the price of a Honda with the same spec, no probs so far. Well recomended.

Yeah top mower IMO!

As a green-keeper I dare to say that I know a thing or two about mowers! Being a former service manual author for Husqvarna is a part of my CV! Yes, really!

First, not all are rubbish at collecting in the wet (tho it is bad for the grass - mowing when wet). Etesia are probably the best in this respect.

Next, forget the Toro and any Hayter. Personally not a fan of Honda pro's either. Not sure of your budget, but you get what you pay for...

Of the choices you have listed the best bet would be the SARP but DON'T pay that much for it... PM me for more details. I also have a few pro mowers for sale. I'm guessing you've been to J&M?!

What width cut do you want? Assume self-propelled? Wheels or Rear Roller? Are you cutting any slopes because if you are you should consider a machine with a pressure lubricated engine such as that made by Kawasaki.

SARP / LAWNFLITE PRO / ASUKA / DANARM / KAAZ are all the same and are based on the previous Honda deck (which they sold the rights to - to Hondas regret). I am quite a fan of these and have the pro version of the rear roller Kaaz myself with the Honda 5.5hp engine. They are heavy machines tho.

ARIENS are seriously underrated - US made machine that is the only steel-deck I would consider. Good price too. I'll be buying one this season.

Etesia are Rolls Royce machines but the price is the same; the decks are Xenoy polymer.

This is all assuming you require a rotary mower not a cylinder machine?

Re engines, Honda quality has worsened recently whereas Kawasaki are sweet as a nut as are Kubota. The only serious machine running a Briggs is the Atco Royale. Avoid Tecumseh! Kohler is top quality too - Three Ks then - Kawasaki / Kohler / Kubota.

One more thing; Viking have launched a new "7" series which I'm having a look at - could be very good.

This could turn into an essay so pm or phone...

Best regards...

wow that was a long one:closedeyes: