what would you pay?

chazzer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if i remember right from my 30/31 its a max bar lenght of 15 inches

I'm not too sure if the guide bar is a max length of 15 inches but Cs30/31 only cover you to fell and process tree with a max diameter of 380mm for sure. But nonetheless is a precautionary worth looking in to.

Maybe instructors could surface some answer?

Edited by AlvinD

Bit late seeing this but we all done work for friends of friends, they all want it done cheap and the more money they have the less they want to pay you.

£25 wouldnt cover wear & tare, you hit some muck & they chain is blunk?

Clothing, boots etc, if this guy thinks he is paying a fair price at £25 let him do it himself.

One way to get your money, make him but the fuel and only use Aspen! tell him you need chain oil too and get the most expensive you can (Because your saws always have the best) Get yourself some experience with some good cutters before you go doing a job like this, you cant expect a fortune you havent been around long enough like the guys on here. My first was was £2 take home a week but that was a while ago.

Although this may seem a nice job to do, you will realise later in life that telling him to stuff it, may have been the way to go.

You will not get other jobs from this and if you do they will all want it done for next to nothing. Good luck making your fortune, if you find the short cut please post it here we all want to know

How about working for £50/day, and he pays for a NPTC assessor to come and ticket you up in his woods?

That way you make a bit of money, all be it not too much, and get your cs30/31 without having to fork out of your bank and find a week off work. He gets it done fairly cheap, might be a good compromise?

Minimum wage at 16 is £3.68 per hour, by law. Also check the law on rest breaks, as these are a little different for under 18s. If you have no chainsaw certs, he cannot employ you to fell without direct supervision, that means a suitably ticketed person is literally watching over you while you fell.

I did my cs30/31 back in feb 2010 and can confirm the maximum guide bar length allowed IS 15". I turned up with a 16" bar on an ms260 and they did pull me up on it but they let it go ... dare say with a different examiner or turning up with a 20" bar may be a different story though. Trying to demonstrate decent bore cuts on a small tree with a 20" bar would just make your life harder anyway.

...examiner was telling me at lunch that he once had a lad turn up with a top handle :lol: fail.