Helicopter landing sites

Tinker

I have a client who has a helicopter landing site within the curtledge of his property, so it doesn't need planning permission.

I have been asked to plant a wood adjacent to the landing site and need to know the safe distance required for the rota not to be hitting the trees. I know it will be a decade or so before the trees will be high enough to be a problem, but if we plan the woodland edge to accomodate the safe distance from the start, there will be no arguments in the future.

I have looked at the CAA site and not found anything on the subject. I'm going to email them and the UK Helicopter Portal, but just wondered if anyone had come across this problem before?

Cheers

Tinker

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you planting on the helecopter owners land or someone elses land?

If it is the latter the land owner is entitled to do whatever they want on their property and provided the activities remain witin his boundaries need make no allowance for the activities of adjoining properties.

The only exception would be if the land were an airport where the CAA (i think) has wide ranging authority to hack trees at will.

Are you planting on the helecopter owners land or someone elses land?

Hi Treequip,

If it is the latter the land owner is entitled to do whatever they want on their property and provided the activities remain witin his boundaries need make no allowance for the activities of adjoining properties.

The only exception would be if the land were an airport where the CAA (i think) has wide ranging authority to hack trees at will.

The landing site is in the garden at the back of the house and the wood is to be in the same field with a perimiter wall surrounding the lot.

Whether or not the owner is entitled to do what he wants on his own land, it makes sense to plan for the rotors of the helicopter not to come into contact with the trees. If a safe distance exists and the pilot screws up, that's his problem.

Hi SteveB,

It doesn't matter how big the heli is, if there is a safe distance from rotor tip to obstruction, then that is what I want.

Thanks guys

The landing site is in the garden at the back of the house and the wood is to be in the same field with a perimiter wall surrounding the lot.

Whether or not the owner is entitled to do what he wants on his own land, it makes sense to plan for the rotors of the helicopter not to come into contact with the trees. If a safe distance exists and the pilot screws up, that's his problem.

Hi SteveB,

It doesn't matter how big the heli is, if there is a safe distance from rotor tip to obstruction, then that is what I want.

Thanks guys

I speak from a case local to me where a commercial piot started parking his machine uncomfortably close to someone elses property, if your clients dont want to upset the helecopter pilot just ask him how far back the trees need to be.

Pretty damn far.

Pilots do not like landing heli if the trees are anywhere near the pad.

One site tenerd for a while ago had one and no bushes, trees or obstacles within 100 yards radious of the pad. This is not due to the rotor blades but more the downdraft from the landing heli.

It's a safety thing as far as flying objects hitting anyone near or getting blown up into the air and sucked into the jet engine. Size of the heli doesn't matter.