Helicopter landing sites

Tinker

well you really know what size the copter is but in the certain hot sandy places we would have to clear an are 15x10 an absolute minimum

i have worked near the battersea heliport and that is right by the tower blocks but i would have thought an area of about 30x30 would be ok, just be careful though as i think most civvi pilots would be worried about approaches

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

military pilots dont count on this one - they're just round the bend mostly :lol:

Had a few interesting flights with ex african bush war pilots years ago - wasnt feeling to steady for a while after that :lol::lol:

Mind you, got of lightly compared to one w....r who mouthed of that he could handle whatever they threw at him - was blubbing after the first wing over (?- not sure if that is the right terminology for a helo)

civvi pilots, and potentially an amateur in this situation wont want anything to distract them.

Hi Guys, thanks for the input. Yes please to any info from pilots. I read a report about a recent accident where a heli pilot passenger was being flown home in a heli and he asked the pilot flying the chopper, to land near trees and it was ok as he had done it before. Result was damage to the rotors from a low branch not seen as it was after the leaves had dropped.

The prevailing wind is from the west and is over a dry stone wall that the pilot is used to already. The wood is to be on the north side.

I would avoid planting. but like someone has already said, ask the pilot he should know otherwise he probably shouldn't be flying.

But there are plenty of small HLS's in central london, Battersea heliport been one and that is right under the tower blocks been used by all day by civvi pilots like i said i think the area is a minimum of 30x30 but maybe bigger