CSCS confusion

TimberCutterDartmoor

Most of my work is on construction sites and this is what I had to do.

Cscs test (Red card) general operative

Then I had to do a days health and safety course with BALI which at the end of the course I received a white card which I was told was for my trade ie tree surgeon

Then I had to go back and do another cscs test For a black card (manager)

It's mad as I hold a higher health and safety qualification than most of the H&S mangers on site!

But it all depends who the principle contractor on site is been on a few sites and you don't need Cscs you will find on some big sites that the guys who work directly for the principle contractor don't have cscs they sit a 1 day H&S course with no test at the end.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a problem with the touch screen test, it does the job of keeping anyone who is suicidally stupid off construction sites. There were a few things in the book I didn't know, specifically related to procedure on construction sites.

The only advantage i can see to having something industry specific is preventing other trades/cscs card holders from doing tree work.

With regard to npts not including general h&s stuff, I meant NPTCs plus touch screen test equal arborist category, not that you could skip doing it.

Edited by Peter

Most of my work is on construction sites and this is what I had to do.

Cscs test (Red card) general operative

Then I had to do a days health and safety course with BALI which at the end of the course I received a white card which I was told was for my trade ie tree surgeon

Then I had to go back and do another cscs test For a black card (manager)

It's mad as I hold a higher health and safety qualification than most of the H&S mangers on site!

But it all depends who the principle contractor on site is been on a few sites and you don't need Cscs you will find on some big sites that the guys who work directly for the principle contractor don't have cscs they sit a 1 day H&S course with no test at the end.

OMG...a veritable 'quagmire', and just when I thought I was getting to grips with it. Still red, white and black...maybe good if you're a Man U fan.

Joking apart, this is clearly something of a minefield which would benefit from some clarity and improved focus.

Thanks for your reply, v useful.

Paul

I don't really have a problem with the touch screen test, it does the job of keeping anyone who is suicidally stupid off construction sites. There were a few things in the book I didn't know, specifically related to procedure on construction sites.

The only advantage i can see to having something industry specific is preventing other trades/cscs card holders from doing tree work.

With regard to npts not including general h&s stuff, I meant NPTCs plus touch screen test equal arborist category, not that you could skip doing it.

Aaah, see where you're coming from now Peter,i.e. NPTC+CSCS=arb specific rather than ROLO+NPTC+LISS/CSCS = arb specific.

Apparently the 'agreement' BALI have with CSCS is that all land-based operatives should hold the (ROLO) LISS/CSCS card before being allowed on sites. In practice though it would seem many accept your proposed combination.

Cheers..

Paul

We are doing a 1 day CSCS course on a building site we will be working on. The card will only be valid for work on that specific site. The developer/builders are paying for it but the card will be valid for the duration the site is being built on. Apparently its the same stuff they talked to us about in the last site meeting (Hi-viz jackets/long sleeved at all times, hard hats, warning signs,etc,etc) As we are going to be parked in the "Red zone" but felling in the "Amber zone".

We are doing a 1 day CSCS course on a building site we will be working on. The card will only be valid for work on that specific site. The developer/builders are paying for it but the card will be valid for the duration the site is being built on. Apparently its the same stuff they talked to us about in the last site meeting (Hi-viz jackets/long sleeved at all times, hard hats, warning signs,etc,etc) As we are going to be parked in the "Red zone" but felling in the "Amber zone".

Hi I think you will find this is not Cscs Your doing this because the contractor your working for does not need to have Cscs as he is not a main contractor I've worked on many sites that do this and saves having Cscs guys is the site running for more than as this also makes a differance.

As said above its a mine field