CSCS confusion

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TCD , call Cscs tomorrow and simply book to do the general test , i tried the whole Arb/forestry thing and got nowhere , as long as you hold a cscs card you can not be refused acces to site (this has been my experience) .

True. Its another load cr@p which only serves to complicate matters and like previously said can be gained by just about anyone, whearas NPTC etc are more worthwhile.

Very rarely are we asked to produce chainsaw, chipper, grinder certs on site, as long as you have CSCS your good to go.

TCD , call Cscs tomorrow and simply book to do the general test , i tried the whole Arb/forestry thing and got nowhere , as long as you hold a cscs card you can not be refused acces to site (this has been my experience) .

Done it yesterday, passed thank goodness. Exactly as you say - trying to do arb / forestry thing and got nowhere; just did green / operative card and sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the green operative card and if asked show the, the nptc Certs. They will back up what you are doing on site.

The green card is only really for access onto a building site, what you do after that is all down to what tickets you have.

I have worked on sites before when they will allow a green card on and as long as he had a cert to back up that he has been trained on the telehandler he was allowed to drive it.

The test is simple enough to do but I did find a few curve balls that were thrown in for fun. The books are ok but cost a bit to buy, if you can borrow one its even better.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, interesting posts here.

Many/some seem to be suggesting that taking the 'GREEN' (construction site operative) 'touch-screen' test, and passing it of course, AND having your NPTC card availbale covering the operations you are undertaking on said construction site is deemed adequate to give you access....'SIMPLES'.

I spent a day with BALI yesterday discussing both the content of the 'ROLO' (Regsiter of Landscape Operatives, and nothing to do with "giving someone your last one..") scheme H&S course, which forms the basis of the CSCS/LISS (Construction Site Certification Scheme / Landscape Industries Sector Scheme) whihc is the landbased industry specific qualification....but still requires you to do the construction 'touch-screen' test in order to get the CSCS card :sneaky2:

So, should the Association become a training provider for ROLO which would allow us to deliver the standard course in a arboricultural / treework context...I think probably so for those who do need a landbased industry specific card, i.e. LISS/CSCS.

Of course this only affects you if you work on construction sites and/or highways (under the NHSS 18 scheme.)

Cheers all and any comments / 'steers' gratefully rec'd. :001_smile:

Paul

Most of the cscs sites iv been on dont know or care about NPTC, as long as you have a cscs card your ok.

IF and it's a big if, cscs could be persuaded to recognise NPTC/lantra as a prerequisite for arborists, and indeed add arb to the list of occupations, then we would be getting somewhere.

Most of the cscs sites iv been on dont know or care about NPTC, as long as you have a cscs card your ok.

IF and it's a big if, cscs could be persuaded to recognise NPTC/lantra as a prerequisite for arborists, and indeed add arb to the list of occupations, then we would be getting somewhere.

Peter, thanks for your reply.

Two reasons why your proposal wouldn't work under the current regime.

1. The NPTC /Lantra Awards route doesn't include the broad spectrum of H&S stuff that the ROLO scheme does, albeit at a basic level (I acknowledge it looks at risk assessment in detail but not wider H&S issues / principles etc.)

2. Essentially the LISS/CSCS card includes 'arborist', at various levels, as the occupation.

I did suggest some considerable time ago that NPTC should include a foundation unit on general H&S stuff as a prerequisite to the actual skils competencies but, sadly, this never happened.

Hence we now have LISS/CSCS which is our only, current, opportunity for an industry specific award. But, whilst people can simply get the 'GREEN' , constructive operative card whihc seems to give them access to sites the need to pursue the LISS/CSCS route is reduced.

Cheers..

Paul