Mole Control

sylvestris stew

We gass first, I suppose you could say we are redistributing soil.

For rabbits we obviously gas or ferret the holes the day before. The farmers sign paper work to clarify that we are collapsing burrows

Seriously though lysteria through silage is a real problem, the machine we are using is a "SHOCKWAVE" which has been developed by myself and another couple of guys. We have been using it mostly for rats and rabbit burrows.

Anyone interested in purchasing one or for anymore info pm me[couldn't resist a plug]

Edited by sylvestris stew

Stew, Welcome to the club!!

Looking at your photo's it would suggest that you are using a Rodenator, as you are standing next to the lance when you press the button. In the second photo you appear to be smiling, Grimmacing?, What if Mr mole had burrowed between your legs, and you then hit the button !!!!???

As I wanted to keep the crown jewels intact, I use a Burrow Blaster, which has the control box 10 meters from the blast zone, and mate it is great fun push the button and it's like vietnam.

I notice you have yours on a trailer on the quad, I have mounted mine on a tow bar from the quad and it hooks over the rear rack, but if you do this there is a problem, all the weight is at the back so you have to put some sand bgs on the front for counter balance, it's better than pulling a trailer and alot neater.

I use mine mainly for rabbit control on the farm, and contract out to other farmers, but the NFU were twitchy insuring me.

Also it is against the law in the u.k to use explosives to kill wild animals, as DEFRA made clear in a public statement in May 2007, but they can be used to collapse burrows and tunnels if no animals are present.

The maximum penalty for using an explosive other than ammunition for a firearm, to kill wild animals is currently £5,000.00 and six months in prison.

You currently do not need a licence to use one, but I would say make sure that you record your use of a ferret, or phosphine tablets, on premises blasted, as if you are inspected and you have not, you could be demmed to have breached these laws.

Happy blasting Dude.

Will try and put up some piccies of mine if I have time

It's a "SHOCKWAVE" we produce them ourselves they are fully licensed and patented, we're now doing one with a remote switch to protect the jewels! the one in the pics is actually the first one we made.

We have the paper work in place for pre collapsing visits for gassing and ferretting. I see a couple of peole have been prosecuted for miss use of this type of machine, it'll always happen I suppose, but as long as you follow the guidelines you'll be ok[we supply these with the machine.]

The gas is actually mounted on a rack on the quad, the trailer is just there for other kit we had with us.

To answer an earlier question , it's a mix of oxygen and propane gass.

I am looking at putting together a trainining course[ which will be LANTRA approved in time]