David brown 1412

swinny

Make sure you try the hydrashift when the tractor is cold,the changes up the hydrashift shoulb not be lumpy or jerky,a smooth change when cold oil should be achieved.Anything your not sure on can be a costly mistake. Check out any major gearbox oil leaks. Most parts are easy to get hold of,all filters are easy to obtain too,Good luck....

I believe there is a fault somewhere with the transmission on this one, no gears, would need investigating...

It is my understanding that unless one understands and can work at these particular gearboxs...........leave well alone.

An idea that was ahead of its time, that was not understood, was neglected and abused, then blamed when it inevitably gave trouble.

And then the average agricultural non-franchised mechanic did not know how to repair.

Some owners swear by them and still do

some at them (well they used to)

Bit like David Brown hydraulics really:lol:

It is my understanding that unless one understands and can work at these particular gearboxs...........leave well alone.

An idea that was ahead of its time, that was not understood, was neglected and abused, then blamed when it inevitably gave trouble.

And then the average agricultural non-franchised mechanic did not know how to repair.

Some owners swear by them and still do

some at them (well they used to)

Bit like David Brown hydraulics really:lol:

My 990's a belter :thumbup1: Hydraulics are good :)

My father 45 odd year ago bought a red DB 990, he maintained that the DB "Selamatic"/"Impletmatic" hydraulic system worked better than Harry Fergusons more primitive sysyem.

IF the operator actually understood how it worked and how it should be used.

This was the only tractor he EVER traded in simply because I understand they were still worth stupid good money to the Donegal farmers, even after they were superceeded, by newer more advanced models, in our local Co Londonderry market.

BUGGER!

He also bought a 434 International, again because of better hydraulic output than the equivalent Massey, "we" still got her, and the B250 forby, forby.

Actually Dad had a wee knack o picking future classics as a Fiat 640 was also purchased.

Still got her too.

The Universal 540:lol: was not, however, in the same league.

cheers

M

Anyone else know anything about the 1412?

Or would a ford 7700 be a better bet with the knackered cab?

Both would need money spending on them either way.....

David brown in better condition cosmetically

i`d go for the one that needs cosmetic work as it is easier & cheaper to do!!

and cosmetics dont stop it from going straight to work!!

once you start talking gearboxes you start talking big bucks!!!!

you might be able to pick a secondhand cab up at some point!!