Imported kiln dried logs - does anyone actualy buy them?

ash_smith123

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's a no brainer....kiln dried logs are far superior to seasoned logs and a pleasure to burn...and for around the same price. I don't really buy the environmental argument either since most imported wood comes in by container ship which has a fairly low carbon footprint....eg vs hauling long distances via road all across the UK which a lot of the UK-sourced wood suppliers have to do anyway and is no better IMO

I've purchased from The Luxury Wood Company a few times now and been thoroughly impressed. I haven't found anyone cheaper on the web yet and they seem to be the best value for money:

Check them out. HTH :thumbup:

nowt like getting a free ad with your first post:001_rolleyes:

For me, it's a no brainer....kiln dried logs are far superior to seasoned logs and a pleasure to burn...and for around the same price. I don't really buy the environmental argument either since most imported wood comes in by container ship which has a fairly low carbon footprint....eg vs hauling long distances via road all across the UK which a lot of the UK-sourced wood suppliers have to do anyway and is no better IMO

I've purchased from The Luxury Wood Company a few times now and been thoroughly impressed. I haven't found anyone cheaper on the web yet and they seem to be the best value for money:

www.luxurywood.co.uk

Check them out. HTH :thumbup:

You haven't really thought about that one mate. If you live next to the docks you may have a point, but your doing the road hauling all the same to deliver to customer. And what about all the road hauling in the country of origin. The trees didn't grow on the ship did they. Imo container ships have a huge carbon footprint, especially when there importing things we can easily supply ourselves.:thumbup:

How is a kiln dried log @ 20% mc better than air dried @ 20% please (bugs dont count) and what species hardwoods did you supply yourself with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's not, but i've found the seasoned/air-dried log deliveries i've had in the past are not reliably less than 20%. With kiln dried it's guaranteed.

Their crates are a mixture of hardwoods but i believe always at least half Birch which seems to burn very hot in our stove. I don’t care about bugs – but I always test the moisture and it has never been above 16%.

You haven't really thought about that one mate. If you live next to the docks you may have a point, but your doing the road hauling all the same to deliver to customer. And what about all the road hauling in the country of origin. The trees didn't grow on the ship did they. Imo container ships have a huge carbon footprint, especially when there importing things we can easily supply ourselves.:thumbup:

From distribution to depot to customer is likely to be the same in both cases, on average. From forest to dist depot obviously depends on where the forest and distribution depot are relative to eachother, but all i'm saying is that there may not be much in it, because for the imported case, the shipping leg can be excluded from the equation, since the ships carry something like 10,000 containers, so on a per container basis the carbon footprint is negligible vs the road haulage required in both cases.

im not sure about your last statement - maybe easy but it's expensive...

From distribution to depot to customer is likely to be the same in both cases, on average. From forest to dist depot obviously depends on where the forest and distribution depot are relative to eachother, but all i'm saying is that there may not be much in it, because for the imported case, the shipping leg can be excluded from the equation, since the ships carry something like 10,000 containers, so on a per container basis the carbon footprint is negligible vs the road haulage required in both cases.

im not sure about your last statement - maybe easy but it's expensive...

It's people like you responsible for rape of this beautiful planet we are care takers of. It doesn't belong to us anymore than the bees.

Before you discard the footprint of a container ship, which by the way is massive, you have to ask yourself is it necessary. In this instance the answer is NO.

I buy my firewood(70 tonnes a year for personal use) in cord from a local seller. Cord comes from no more than 60 mile away. If for some reason we get behind in processing we buy processed logs from local dealer who's logs come from woodland around 5 mile away. How's does this compare with your well travelled logs. And don't forget the extra carbon used inthe kiln drying process.

According to your logic we can import everything guilt free and discard footprint because it came on a big ship. Now think about all the related footprints associated with shipping. Like running massive docks and getting all fuel to docks, and actually building the unnecessary ship in the first place.

Your carbon figures are as creative as the governments!

It's people like you responsible for rape of this beautiful planet we are care takers of. It doesn't belong to us anymore than the bees.

Before you discard the footprint of a container ship, which by the way is massive, you have to ask yourself is it necessary. In this instance the answer is NO.

I buy my firewood(70 tonnes a year for personal use) in cord from a local seller. Cord comes from no more than 60 mile away. If for some reason we get behind in processing we buy processed logs from local dealer who's logs come from woodland around 5 mile away. How's does this compare with your well travelled logs. And don't forget the extra carbon used inthe kiln drying process.

According to your logic we can import everything guilt free and discard footprint because it came on a big ship. Now think about all the related footprints associated with shipping. Like running massive docks and getting all fuel to docks, and actually building the unnecessary ship in the first place.

Your carbon figures are as creative as the governments!

You sound like a very responsible wood burner. Somehow i can't see the 12+ million population of London (where i live) sourcing firewood from Forests within 60 mile radius... i agree it would be wonderful if that were a reality if that were possible...but it's not. We live in the real world here.

Burning imported wood is still more environmentally responsible than burning fossil fuels to heat our homes which have taken millions of years to form - and which a majority of the UK population choose to do. So on that basis alone it's tough to take the moral high-ground.

JFYI - many kilns nowadays are heated by burning wood, so the net CO2 emmissions is nil.

cheers

You live in the real world, and your quite happy to destroy it through irresponsible purchases. There's plenty of wood available to you from a lot closer than loggy the globe trotter you prefer. 5 mins on Google would easily find you 5 better options. FYI some kilns are now heated by wood, but still use electric for other processes. And seen as the kiln drying of logs is completely unnesseccecary then those logs with "0" carbon could have been used for a better purpose. Anyway I'm off to my pretend world now where we care about the future and spend a moment and maybe an extra pound to source things responsibly. While I'm there I think I might use the 70 tonne of logs in our shed to dry out some different logs, as after all they are "0" carbon.