Arctic Blast coming

gensetsteve

I saw a whole lot of gritting trucks out today, all with snow ploughs attached at the ready...not sure what thats all about!

That would be to help push all the water out the way. They have had a new idea that gritting salt will soak up the rain aswell. :biggrin:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ts that time of year again folks where this lurker leaves his Gulf of mexico & Caribbean Hurricane interest`s and hangs out with the Arbchat kindred :D

So regarding this cold snap, then, as previous posts, the temps will plummet through Friday as a cold front/trough moves south courtesy of the High pressure system currently influencing us retrograding NWwards over S Greenland/Iceland to put us under Drier (misty mur by-byes) but much colder airflow with widespread daytime maximums not rising above 40°F in northern regions and only mid-high 40`s in the South with widespread air frosts away from coastal fringes thru Friday night.

A new low pressure will form out of the fairly strong temperature gradient due West of Iceland on Saturday, which will cut off the cold arctic air over us as it tracks SEwards across the faroe`s & Shetland increasing temps for the UK with little chance of a frost Saturday night.

The pattern will remain though and as soon as the new low clears & fills into Scandinavia then a repeat will occur with another straight(ish) Northerly late Sunday which will veer back but the Isobars will be more slack so likely to not to feel as cold as it will this coming Friday.

Next week however could be quite interesting as another Low will again form out of the Denmark straight but with potential to be deeper with higher winds and precipitation with a slight possibility of high tides and interesting coastal conditions around the North Sea? We`ll see how this pans out,,,

So not common conditions for this time of year at all and with the NAO (amongst other technical “teleconnections” which I`ll refrain from pointing out) staying negative then it`s looking beyond 10 days before any pure straight West to East Zonal Atlantic pattern affects the UK therefore temps will be below on average with wintry outbreaks likeliest over Scotland and high ground of Eng Wal & NIre.

I don`t wish to offer anything on the long term side of things nor Winter`s chances but let`s say November may be an average month in terms of temps with the Atlantic and Jet stream never straying to far from the NW europe?

But all in all i`ts good to be back! :001_smile: