Softwood logs any good?

Deb

What's peoples opinions on softwood for logs? We get a fair amount of it and i've been logging it up but not convinced given the choice between a softwood mixed load or all hardwood I'll get that much of it sold.

Wondering if it's worth finding a diffrent outlet for the softies.......

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This same scenario does my head in; imo properly seasoned s/w is great, well worth doing but customers are refusing to accept this as they get drilled with anti anti anti information. Even the Gold NACS member chimney sweep I do business with is against it. H/wood availability is going to force people to accept it hopefully. We need a re-education prgramme urgently; perhaps someof us on here could lobby and work on this...? :thumbup1:

The bottom line is that all wood pretty much has the same energy content unit of dry weight, so you need to burn more softwood to get the same heat.

Sure it seasons quicker, and can get a stove up to temperature quicker, but you still have to have increased amounts of storage space and spend more time tending the stove.

Unless the price is reduced significantly to reflect the increased hassle then folk aren't going to be persuaded. The problem is that as a supplier, you have the same processing costs, so unless you are in a position where you are paying for your hardwood cord, but get softwood gratis, it may not increase your turnover/profit.

Personally, I love it for getting the stove up to temperature and being cleaner to work with, but I process my own - I wouldn't pay for it.

Edited by hardtop110

I'm trying an 'offer' at the moment: highest price for hardwood, lower price for softwood, a price less than the two together for a load of each delivered at the same time. Got my first taker yesterday.

But it's right to say 'education is needed': as soon as you mention 'conifer' the hackles go up and you have to explain that it's fine when dry and that the tarred up flues that everyone's heard about (but few seem to have suffered) were almost certainly down to burning green wood - of any sort.

Never mix soft with hard. Sell hardwood at a premium and softwood 20% cheaper for the same bulk.

Only sell it seasoned, and if its struggling to go out of the door, offer a couple of small nets free as a trial with a bulk load of hardwood.:thumbup1:

I'll bear all that in mind - thanks. As I said I'm trialling the idea. Fully priced my softwood is actually 1/3 cheaper than the hard stuff and yes, I only sell seasoned unless (rarely) I'm asked for green wood in which case I make it very clear what is being provided.

Jon

Im really trying to get more and more customers to go down the sofwood route,and its working for sure,must admit that the older people are not too easy to convince.But like others i have pushed up the hardwood price enough.Getting plenty of DIY folk who want delivered loads in the round to saw and split themselves,which is great,less work and hassle for me. If its seasoned and clean then it will sell sell sell....:))

Never mix soft with hard. Sell hardwood at a premium and softwood 20% cheaper for the same bulk.

:

I only sell mixed loads of hard and softwood.

I have found it is the only way to get rid of the tons of conifer I have.

Although sometimes reluctant at first, with a little educating and encouragement customers go for it and come back for more once they realise that dry conifer will burn better than damp hardwood which they many may have been used to.

As mentioned many times on here many people have been told to avoid conifer but once they try a quality, seasoned product they are happy.