ASPEN fuel why so expensive

NoRush

Sorry Andy, just can't agree with this statement.

re:Aspen too dear to sit on shelves, my statement was based on the words of a local retailer who had bought a pallet a couple of years ago, the fuel sat in the showroom in a prime location, it didnt sell. The company is also one of the largest Arb companies in the East Anglian region with I understand approx 250 staff. I even asked their tree guys what fuel they use and it's good old pump fuel. Now if they can't see the wisdom of using Aspen, I think I would be hard pressed to be convinced to.

I was going to try some as I've been out of regular work this year, I felt it may be better in my machines with long periods of non use, but it cannot be bought locally. It would be ridiculous to travel for a good hour solely to purchase it. So it's not me just being pedantic and stubborn on the matter, the supply chain just isn't there.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re:Aspen too dear to sit on shelves, my statement was based on the words of a local retailer who had bought a pallet a couple of years ago, the fuel sat in the showroom in a prime location, it didnt sell. The company is also one of the largest Arb companies in the East Anglian region with I understand approx 250 staff. I even asked their tree guys what fuel they use and it's good old pump fuel. Now if they can't see the wisdom of using Aspen, I think I would be hard pressed to be convinced to.

I was going to try some as I've been out of regular work this year, I felt it may be better in my machines with long periods of non use, but it cannot be bought locally. It would be ridiculous to travel for a good hour solely to purchase it. So it's not me just being pedantic and stubborn on the matter, the supply chain just isn't there.

Andy, considering your recent health issues i would think you might be more open minded regarding the obvious benifits, and how the hell does a supplier expect to sell a product they themselves do not endorse and get behind, what possible basis of experience can they have on its benifits without using the stuff!

come on guys

I think that more would be sold if there was a higher profit margin for dealers and the retail price was lower....

.... The trouble is we can guess but we just don't know what the actual costs are in producing it... Everytime a thread comes up about Aspen it always ends up being the price that is the problem.... surely if they could reduce the price they would?

But again we'll never find out as I can't see an oil company opening their books and giving us a breakdown of costs.

As far as I know it comes out of the same reactor vessel as all other petrochemicals, they make it at the same time as they make petrol, diesel, kerosine etc so I don't see how the manufacturing costs could be higher, indeed you could argue that the costs are negligable since its made as part of the process that makes all the other products that they sell.

I am sure Anglo will correct me if that's significantly wrong.

Andy, considering your recent health issues i would think you might be more open minded regarding the obvious benifits, and how the hell does a supplier expect to sell a product they themselves do not endorse and get behind, what possible basis of experience can they have on its benifits without using the stuff!

come on guys

It was indirectly because if my health issues that I tried to source the stuff locally, if I'd been healthy I would never have considered it, but because of the length of down time I thought it would be better for the machines to use it. As I've said before, it's not up to the buyer to do their marketing, if the product is that good, then surely they would be placing it in as many outlets as possible to get it out there, get it accepted then move it forward. sorry, but I see no proper advertising campaign, excluding a banner ad here and there, and a little caption in FJ magazine. The wider audience is surely the domestic Market, and this should be addressed. Shell and similar spend a vast amount on Advertising campaigns, why don't Aspen aim a specific tv ad at domestic users.

It was indirectly because if my health issues that I tried to source the stuff locally, if I'd been healthy I would never have considered it, but because of the length of down time I thought it would be better for the machines to use it. As I've said before, it's not up to the buyer to do their marketing, if the product is that good, then surely they would be placing it in as many outlets as possible to get it out there, get it accepted then move it forward. sorry, but I see no proper advertising campaign, excluding a banner ad here and there, and a little caption in FJ magazine. The wider audience is surely the domestic Market, and this should be addressed. Shell and similar spend a vast amount on Advertising campaigns, why don't Aspen aim a specific tv ad at domestic users.

advertising campaigns cost a small fortune and this cost is passed directly onto the customer, obviously, its a balance is it not, and it IS down to us to appreciate these facts and do some of the work in extolling the virtues of the product.

advertising campaigns cost a small fortune and this cost is passed directly onto the customer, obviously, its a balance is it not, and it IS down to us to appreciate these facts and do some of the work in extolling the virtues of the product.

Or, is it called establishing a market share and is something that's as a tax deductible can and should be absorbed by those with most to gain.

Ok given your argument about the cost of advertising, as it's considerably dearer than regular pump fuel, there should be sufficient funds to advertise the product, a basic of any business is to successfully promote itself? I must admit a little confusion in my mind, as I understood the Anglo-American Oil Company Ltd to be a multi-national industry, as the original name belonged to Esso (Exxon group) but as I understand it I was mistaken on that, and it's a lot smaller business than I imagined.

Anyway I digress, if Shell and other big players are doing this type of fuel, and if it is so good for us, why are the pumps not using it now? I mean the vehicular uses of petrol products make our piddly little trade pale into insignificance. Or is there a hidden agenda?

Ok given your argument about the cost of advertising, as it's considerably dearer than regular pump fuel, there should be sufficient funds to advertise the product, a basic of any business is to successfully promote itself? I must admit a little confusion in my mind, as I understood the Anglo-American Oil Company Ltd to be a multi-national industry, as the original name belonged to Esso (Exxon group) but as I understand it I was mistaken on that, and it's a lot smaller business than I imagined.

Anyway I digress, if Shell and other big players are doing this type of fuel, and if it is so good for us, why are the pumps not using it now? I mean the vehicular uses of petrol products make our piddly little trade pale into insignificance. Or is there a hidden agenda?

Its a bi-product from the process of cracking or whatever it is,so petrol deisel etc are the main products,this alkalyte fuel is only a small percentage of what they get from it all

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/aspen-fuel/18110-try-aspen-fuel-arbtalk-offer.html

Maybe it's worth them doing this again.

I know it's better for me, I know it's better for the engine and I'm completely sold on it on these aspects, but I also know that it's too blasted expensive to use constantly.

I am going to try the Aspen with Bio oil angle with a company I want to be selected as an Approved Vendor for. It will be interesting to see what the response is in relation to that.