550XP... is there a knack to getting them started?

Hoggin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always know if someone else has been using my 560.

3 pushes to the primer.

2 full pulls with the choke on.

1 pull to start. Every time.

It's surprising how sensitive the autotune is.

If one of the lads uses it, it doesn't start the same.

When it doesn't start, just try cracking open the fuel cap and then closing it again and then try starting.

I know a guy recently that tried that and it worked so possibly could be a tank breather problem ?

I've tried that once before but didn't make any difference. It's quite random... sometimes it will hot start fine, other times it needs ten pulls.

Are you supposed to use the primer for a hot start? I thought they were just meant for ease of starting from cold?

I think so, yep.

Steve if it's been running and left to cool down for say 15 minutes. Just give the primer a couple of pokes and pull. Just leave the secomp alone in fact never go anywhere near the decomp

I never ever use the decompression valve.

It could be vapor lock if the weather is warm . Aspen is the way to go ...........

I used to run it on Aspen but got fed up with travelling so far to buy it. So I'm back on pump fuel now.

Or has someone else who doesn't know how to start a husky been having a go

Haha! No.... its been happening to me too.

got 3 new 550s after we where burgled having had 346s had problem with one once hot it wouldn't tick over nd stall on take up that one went back to husky other two we were told to hold it at full revs for 10 secs from start up to the autotune re set

Right, I didn't know you could reset the autotune like that. Do you need to hold the throttle wide open as you pull the starter cord?

I always know if someone else has been using my 560.

3 pushes to the primer.

2 full pulls with the choke on.

1 pull to start. Every time.

It's surprising how sensitive the autotune is.

If one of the lads uses it, it doesn't start the same.

Yeah - it's a bit of an art. But something has changed more recently.... it started fine last summer.

cheers, steve

Mine had a wobbly about 6 weeks ago. Mind you the lad ran it dry and tried starting it "Stihl Style". It took me 5 minutes to get it running. I just buried it bar deep and run it flat out. I haven't had the problem since

Actually, I haven't given it a good blast for a while.... been working on fiddly bits so would probably do it good to rip through some big stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbup:

cheers, steve

I had my 560 ported by Spud.

Completely changed the starting procedure after that.

I can actually use the decomp valve for every start and it will fire on choke first pull ,start on second.

Really impressed by the difference.

Might be worth a punt.

I had my 560 ported by Spud.

Completely changed the starting procedure after that.

I can actually use the decomp valve for every start and it will fire on choke first pull ,start on second.

Really impressed by the difference.

Might be worth a punt.

Good to hear it is behaving now :thumbup: