Hypothetical - ideal woodland - what would you plant?

Big J

Ps if you like birch get yourself over to Sweden , absolute monsters ..

Define monster!

Biggest I've seen here is probably just shy of 2ft dbh and around 85-90ft tall. Clear stem to about 45ft and single stem reaching right up to the top of the canopy. A real corker!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Define monster!

Biggest I've seen here is probably just shy of 2ft dbh and around 85-90ft tall. Clear stem to about 45ft and single stem reaching right up to the top of the canopy. A real corker!

Yeh i reckon that would be about average over there , couldnt believe the size of them !! :thumbup1:

Work trip. Bit of a pain, but unavoidable. Would much rather stay at home, but hey, won't be away for too long...

:)

Not a chance I would be allowed to Sweden without her - lovely country. Besides, she does rather indulge my tree geekery :thumbup1:

they do sound like monsters, I have seen a couple of birch approaching 60ft but nothing approaching the sizes you describe.

Guelder rose is a cracking bush, but only thrives on wetter sites, I planted a lot last year on a project.

The ideal is to buy a semi mature woodland close to your ideal and play with it I guess.

I have been fortunate enough to have planted a few woods British natives Ash, Birch,Oak etc with Holly,Privet, Field maple, Guelder Rose and Blackthorn, Mountain Ash margins. One area was Poplar and Ash to mask a massive sewage farm.

Some woods are now 40 years old. The trees are good but I get as much of a kick out of the stuff in the leaf litter and the wild life. l like to see the first birds nest usually a Blackbird or a Hedge sparrow then you know it is working. When you can recall the whips being planted and then pheasants wandering about in the wood it is great. Had a dream for a Rookery to establish itself in one, no go yet; but have had the odd crows nest. Then you know you must be getting old.

My old boss had a long lasting sense of humour and always had a few 'unusuals' for us to plant. We hadn't a clue about this at the time but 40 years later I can smile. Occasionally Sequoia were popped into the bag of Hemlock/spruce. Wild Service were mixed in with the hardwoods along with Fern leaved Beech when we were doing the edges. Cherry being the border trees for colour and fruit.

I have continued with this theme and hope this causes a smile when I'm long gone.

As to the trees mentioned above. The majority are still standing and the Sequoia are still going upwards.........:biggrin::biggrin:

I mentioned this to the harvester driver just so they were not cut in a moment of in attention:thumbup1:

codlasher

PS to you fagus; My wifes long term ambition is to have a real rookery! There are quite a few farms near to us called 'Rookery Farm'. Nearly every village seems to have one!

C

Edited by codlasher

• 5 months later...