Log sales what % goes to the black economy

gensetsteve

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

logs = beer tokens!

i got my pay slip and almost past out with the amount of tax and ni ii had payed!!!!

i work hard 5 days a week and do private work on the weekends any arisings i am saving up for x mas log sales to help pay for the tight time of year. i should think twelve orders and that will be me out of wood.

but i will do 'legitimate' log suppliers a favor by not undercutting them. instead i will be charging a premium!!

logs = beer tokens!

i got my pay slip and almost past out with the amount of tax and ni ii had payed!!!!

i work hard 5 days a week and do private work on the weekends any arisings i am saving up for x mas log sales to help pay for the tight time of year. i should think twelve orders and that will be me out of wood.

but i will do 'legitimate' log suppliers a favor by not undercutting them. instead i will be charging a premium!!

logs = beer tokens!

If we have another warm winter like last year, the black economy peeps won't run out - especially if we get a windy November.

I know same as last year. I was trying to double my capacity to 500 tonnes but was so busy making kindling only got 100 tonnes done. Was kicking my self about the lost oportunity last september only to finish the winter with 50 tonnes still sat in bags. I dont think the gross profit covered the tax and insurance on the tipper. :001_rolleyes:

If we have another warm winter like last year, the black economy peeps won't run out - especially if we get a windy November.

I know same as last year. I was trying to double my capacity to 500 tonnes but was so busy making kindling only got 100 tonnes done. Was kicking my self about the lost oportunity last september only to finish the winter with 50 tonnes still sat in bags. I dont think the gross profit covered the tax and insurance on the tipper. :001_rolleyes:

Arbtalk is full of people who run their business through their own choice in a high overheads manner. Then they moan at others for running their business’s on lower overheads and call it undercutting.

My advice to them is firstly to stop spending money that you don’t need to spend. Secondly, get on the tools yourself, as the highest overheads are in wages.

Unless a particular way of doing things is against the law, then it’s a matter of personal choice. I suspect that this is not all a matter of black economy, but a matter of hard personal graft. In my case it is certainly not black as I declare all my earnings.

There is another prevalent attitude here on AT which I think is epitomized by the OP. This is that in some way you own your local market. I suspect it’s because you are born and bread there so you think you own it.

Anyone has a right to cut wood and sell it anywhere, anytime and any place, no matter where they are from. The assumption that your particular competition are on benefits is just that, an assumption.

A question to the OP…What was your price for a loose cube last winter, mine was £70. I’m a tree surgeon selling my excess and not a log merchant. I supply my parents for free with about £2k of wood every year.