Chain sharpening...

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never de-burr, not aware of any peeling chrome plating either, only cutting wee softwoods, not big hardwoods.

Well aware of the need to de-burr wood chisels though:thumbup1:

However, did I see a comment about 5 file strokes?, I tend to only do 3, but use the full length of the file in quite a delibrate way, rotating the file between each stroke and then wiping the file free of metal particles (on my leg or gut ) between teeth.(anal rentitive/obsessive complusive behavouir perhaps, I appreciate)

I also probably tend to keep my depth gauges a tad low, I wonder is the commented apon tendency for new bought chain to be a bit under-aggressive due to the reduced kick-back with a less agressive chain.

In respect of Public liability claims an all that?

PS

Surprised the guy on the Stihl stand said the carbide tipped chain was only twice the price of standard chain, and his mate in the background commented that a stand was selling files for hand filing carbide tipped chain, I can only presume "diamond" coated files.

If I had much old Hawthorn, or other dirty wood to cut I would seriously consider that option.

Cheers

m

Edited by difflock

I never de-burr, not aware of any peeling chrome plating either, only cutting wee softwoods, not big hardwoods.

Well aware of the need to de-burr wood chisels though:thumbup1:

However, did I see a comment about 5 file strokes?, I tend to only do 3, but use the full length of the file in quite a delibrate way, rotating the file between each stroke and then wiping the file free of metal particles (on my leg or gut ) between teeth.(anal rentitive/obsessive complusive behavouir perhaps, I appreciate)

I also probably tend to keep my depth gauges a tad low, I wonder is the commented apon tendency for new bought chain to be a bit under-aggressive due to the reduced kick-back with a less agressive chain.

In respect of Public liability claims an all that?

PS

Surprised the guy on the Stihl stand said the carbide tipped chain was only twice the price of standard chain, and his mate in the background commented that a stand was selling files for hand filing carbide tipped chain, I can only presume "diamond" coated files.

If I had much old Hawthorn, or other dirty wood to cut I would seriously consider that option.

Cheers

m

Edited by difflock

Right..call me a sad .... but I've googled it. The hyphen is incorrect but it appears to be spellable with either one r or two:001_smile:

online oxford English:

deburr (also debur)

Definition of deburr

verb (deburrs, deburring, deburred)

neaten and smooth the rough edges or ridges of (an object, typically one made of metal): (as noun deburring)

Right..call me a sad .... but I've googled it. The hyphen is incorrect but it appears to be spellable with either one r or two:001_smile:

online oxford English:

deburr (also debur)

Definition of deburr

verb (deburrs, deburring, deburred)

neaten and smooth the rough edges or ridges of (an object, typically one made of metal): (as noun deburring)