Powdery mildew

David Humphries

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen it on anything other than young Oak?

I bought a load of young Quercus robur to plant in various places and the ones that were in more shaded places suffered quite badly from powdery mildew. I cant remember the latin for it??

Is there different types of mildew that affect different sp of trees?

I dont think ive heard of Uncinula bicornis before is this a common one?

matt

On Monday at conference, Ted Green appealed for people to get involved in recording mildew (particularly on oak) as he believed that it is on the increase & is having an effect on photosynthesis and the trees ability to fight off other pathogens.

Below is a link from the sylva foundation if any one is interested in recording.

TreeWatch • people power for healthy trees

I know it as Microspheara (spelling?) alphitoides, but that may be an older/newer name. The mildews are very host specific. In general they cause no lasting damage, reduced photosynthesis and a bit unsightly in the short term.

This is what I remember it as! Has this name now changed? Does this affect other sp than oak?

I put something on my work Facebook page suggesting an apparent increase in Erysiphe alphitoides 4 or 5 weeks ago. The summer created ideal conditions for it, so it's probably not surprising.

What is fairly apparent to me is that in general, it is far less abundant (and possibly less frequent as well) down here in Kent than it was when I was working in the scenic, yet slightly damp, Forest of Bowland.