Money for courses

Mark Bolam

My young groundie turns 18 in Feb and is keen to do CS 30/31, 38, 39 and chipper.

He can't afford to pay for standalone courses and I don't have enough work to employ him full time as an apprentice.

He doesn't fancy college for 1-2 years but would be keen on a condensed 10 week course or similar.

What's the crack with grants / funding?

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

He knows all about the job now, and is mad keen to get going.

We are based near Ashford, Kent.

My young groundie turns 18 in Feb and is keen to do CS 30/31, 38, 39 and chipper.

He can't afford to pay for standalone courses and I don't have enough work to employ him full time as an apprentice.

He doesn't fancy college for 1-2 years but would be keen on a condensed 10 week course or similar.

10week course is great for someone with prior experience :thumbup1:

thought of trying the princes trust for funding?

Do a search online for England rural development programme (ERDP) its the regional funding from the government (DEFRA) towards forestry & agricultural training, im sure you could fiddle it, i have friends that have had cs30 + 31 paid for just had to go to a mates farm in devon for a few days, so even if your not in a target area see if you or your groundy know anyone in the target areas

You may be able to get your man on a modern appreticeship. He'll ba able to get nptc's for a registration fee. Does your local college run arb courses. Our local college does, the course would be evidence based with nptc training and assessment. There is a max age of 19 on it. The only thing it costs you is being without your groundie when hes doing his nptc training/assessments.

as hes 18 he gets free education from the government, he could do an apprenticeship (min 16 hours work a week aka 2 days) or he could do a National diploma, or a 10 week fast track course for 30 31 38 39, all courtesy of Her majesty's government.

If you are employing him then he may be able to get funding for a ten week course through Train to Gain. Your local conexions office should be able to help with this.

Otley College run such courses and some of their students have secured funding via conexions in Suffolk. Its worth looking into especially if he does not want to commit to a longer programme.