Carving tools

Stephen Blair

Hi, I am looking for an assortment of tools to replace my chainsaw saw and blunt axe for hacking bits wood of a larger piece of wood.

I have no plan, no end result in sight, just a matter of playing and see where I end up.

The shinier the sharper the better:thumbup1:

I have seen something that looks like a sickle( that's must be the wrong spelling) with 2 handles for pulling backwards:biggrin:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say you want a froe (to split the logs lengthwise into quarters or less), a side-axe, a draw knife (pics above) and then some detailing tools... push chisels, carvign knives, spoon knives etc.

i guess it depends on where you want to go with the wood but that lot would get you started

Only other thing i would say you should consider is how you are going to secure the wood as you hack it :) A shave horse is a good start or a large vice? (besides drinking, that's a large vice but well recommended :) )

I would say you want a froe (to split the logs lengthwise into quarters or less), a side-axe, a draw knife (pics above) and then some detailing tools... push chisels, carvign knives, spoon knives etc.

i guess it depends on where you want to go with the wood but that lot would get you started

Only other thing i would say you should consider is how you are going to secure the wood as you hack it :) A shave horse is a good start or a large vice? (besides drinking, that's a large vice but well recommended :) )

A packet of plasters would go well with that lot IMO :thumbup:

If your starting bit of wood is bigger than about 4ins across and a foot long then I thoroughly recommend a less blunt axe - the Gransfors double-bevelled side axe would be my suggestion. If you don't already know this, you use a side axe across the grain rather than along it. A drawshave of some form will then get it thinner and more uniform - takes less skill than learning to use the single bevel side axe.

The other way would be an adze, particularly if you don't like either your current footwear or your toes. I like adzes, and still have all my toes!

Alec