Blower advise

bobh

the makita's are good for general gardening when u have a can of neat petrol for a mower or sumit.. but i would say just get a stihl bg85 or a br500

Agreed, the Makita 4 stroke one isn't bad and is pretty cheap. We just put 2 stroke through it and it runs fine. Just sound odd when you're used to hearing two strokes. Current one is getting on for two years old now I think and as far as I can remember has never been touched with a spanner.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I must say that I am a Stihl tool buyer through and through.

Until recently I had an SH86 hand held blower/vac and a BR480, owned the backpack unit for about 5 years, yes its bulky but an awesomely powerful piece of kit.

Then bought the hand held about 3 years ago, great bit of kit and much less bulky.

My backpack blower has taken a back seat for a while, but pulled it out for a new job and it has constantly played up. SO about the third to back to the repair shop and all fixed. Locked it on the back of the van and back to the job, came out a coupke of hours later, and some thieving little scroat has cut the cable an dnicked it!

Now my hand held as started playing up - turns out I have broken the fins on the shredder part of the hand held vac unit - they are plastic!

This unbalanced the machine and ultimately the vibrations shook loose some bolts and one of them jammed in the motor and seized it! Got a message to say its ready for collection - hopefully repaired and not Fubar'ed.

Would say that when they were working both were great bits of kit! Infa86ct just purchased another hand held - Stihl SH

Edited by Minotaur
extra detail

I had a good think about this recently after using a £19.99 240v 'el cheapo' one.

I have used stihl and husky - found them a pain to start, to cumbersom and break easily.

While using the 'el cheapo' it made sense that the only time it matters to get the area clear, is when you are outside a customers property, so plug in and off you go.

The electric one was twice as powerful as a petrol one, and a third of the size.

And depends entirely on the customer being home to let you use their power supply

just been hunting the cordless market.

anyone used the Bosch 18v ALB? £80 in argos, could be a winner - the promo pics are over the top:lol:

• 2 weeks later...