Logs sizes!

timberbear

I sell my softwood at 25cm length for the stove market and hardwood generally at 30cm. I sometimes get requests for a 20cm cut and it is a bit of a hassle (logs do not fall right in the processor, sawdust, etc!), I think I should consider charging extra. Is a third extra charge the norm for smaller logs? what does everyone else do?

I quote a third extra and never get the order so it suits me. You may have to test your market if you still want the work. If its cold in October they will buy bits of chipboard from your kitchen by christmas. We are just going into the period where every log needs to be 20% exactly 9 in long 3.5 in wide with royal seal of approval burnt and branded into the end of every log. :biggrin:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I intend only to sell a small amount of firewood this winter (about 30-40 cubic metres probably - as a result of offcuts from sawmilling) and you could get anything up to 14 inch logs. If they are too long, sod off and find a different supplier. I'm cheap, supply top quality logs that fit either of my stoves fine. If they don't suit, but them from someone else. Worst case scenario is I burn them myself, as they aren't really a core part of my business.

Why anyone would buy a tiny stove is beyond me.

I do 3 sizes: 6-8", 8-10", 10-15" - anything else by special request at the start of the season. The vast majority sold is 8-10", with a fair bit of 6-8" and frankly not a lot of 10-15". That suits me: I burn a lot of the larger stuff myself, so if a huge load of it suddenly sells, I'll just use smaller stuff.

What I do find is the larger the log size, the even larger the order. I can't recall ever selling more than 1 cube of 6-8", for example, whereas a full 4m3 trailer load of 10-15" is not unheard of.