I am fuming - advice / feedback wanted.

Tom10

Getting back to thread, next time ring bark them while he is on his way back to the office. (don't blame him it's his job!)

In all honesty this is probably what I would have done or just got them on the floor that day, or at least the tops out of them all.

Edited by skyhuck

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, Silver Birch is native in all parts of Britain.

Secondly, Local Authorities have a duty to try and protect wildlife habitat around villages, towns and cities, those Birches sound like ideal habitat regardless of their aesthetic appearance.

I'd just forget about the incident and move on.

:thumbup:

Again, the issue here must be timing .

Why not look at the time of the tpo enquiry, why do it weeks later when works had commenced and the timing would have the biggest financial impact for the contractor

And to the contractor, why leave it so long to do the work after the TPO enquiry has been made? Obtain TPO list, verify no TPOs on the trees and get someone to do the job immediately. Delaying things risks the outcome that has occurred in this instance.

Good thread and well some well written responses all with good points. I myself would have done as huck has suggested and got them down on day1, to late for that now so move on. No point wasting anytime over it.

All LA's and the TO's are different in every area, just priced a lovely Tpo'd pine to tidy up the other day I was recommended by the local TO, and won the job after they got a couple more quotes, the reason of the tidy up was because the neighbours had hacked back the limbs over hanging there side. The LA are not going to prosecute them which in my opinion they should just to set examples, but instead have overed to cover half the cost of me and my crew to make good of what they have done. TO all have there reasons and for yours to justifie what he has done must stand to good reason.

And I also agree with tony on the shaggy bracket nice 30% reduction would of been ample .....TO deserves a pat on the back.....:biggrin:

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad I'm not alone in thinking this kind of action is out of order.

Huck - good reply. In hindsight I should of done exactly that, ringbarked or knocked the tops out but while at the property he didn't mention anything of TPOs, in fact said we ARE allowed to get on with it he just thought the trees were nicer than we did. Again in hindsight he was never going to tell us what he was going to do, because I would of made them un-savable by the time he was back in his car. Theres something quite sad and sneaky about what he done, and the way he done it. Especially as he clearly went out of his way to ensure we were stopped. (the notice was put on the door at half 7pm!)

Pedroski - I don't know how you manage but i cant see how that works. In order to plan the job and book subcontractors like me the contractor needs to know the job can go ahead on the day he wants, therefore needs to check restrictions allowing enough time to book people. If he checked the day before there could of been restrictions and the job would of been cancelled anyway, and I would of been unimpressed with cancelling my days work after booking me.

Tom.

Tom, I've only done a few like this. But what I did was look at and price the job, give quote to customer and agree work subject to there being no TPO restrictions. THEN check restrictions and book a fella who can work on that date. The longer the period between checking restrictions and doing the work, the greater the chance of a spanner being thrown into the works.

Tom, I've only done a few like this. But what I did was look at and price the job, give quote to customer and agree work subject to there being no TPO restrictions. THEN check restrictions and book a fella who can work on that date. The longer the period between checking restrictions and doing the work, the greater the chance of a spanner being thrown into the works.

OK, I get your point. The gap between the phone call to the Conservation team at the council and the job starting was about 10 days to 2 weeks. Most self employed arbs I would guess are booked that far ahead so in this case the contractor had no option.

Cheers for feedback. :001_smile:

all is asked was for you to justify what you said, with not knowing all the factors, not how big a schlong you have tony ;)

ive been a member on here for a long time and i can clearly see you know a fungi when you see 1

Lol, not wanting to derail I will as ive been intending to start a thread on this VERY fungi as soon as Ive dealt with this massive book deposit! I may be some time!:thumbup1:

I think the TO could have discussed his thoughts with the contractor on the day and not been underhand and dumped a sneaky TPO!

This could encourage contractors to cover their backs a little, all of which will degrade the professionalism, bad move by TO imo!:thumbdown: